Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have been wondering for ages whether specialized would release a 27.5 Then they did, the 2015 stumpy. Now this is the question I was wondering, I wanted a 27.5 Enduro not a stumpy so when will this bike be released and if it is released in the 2015 range, when will I be able to buy it?. Also why have specialized only released one 2015 bike the stumpy? Thx

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,887 Posts
Hi,
I have been wondering for ages whether specialized would release a 27.5 Then they did, the 2015 stumpy. Now this is the question I was wondering, I wanted a 27.5 Enduro not a stumpy so when will this bike be released and if it is released in the 2015 range, when will I be able to buy it?
If they do a 650b Enduro, there is no reason to believe it will be out any sooner than the fall. Again, IF they decide to release a 650b Enduro. . . .

Also why have specialized only released one 2015 bike the stumpy? Thx
If you're going to release a bike mid-year, you may as well call it the upcoming year's bike instead of the past year.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If they do a 650b Enduro, there is no reason to believe it will be out any sooner than the fall. Again, IF they decide to release a 650b Enduro. . . .

If you're going to release a bike mid-year, you may as well call it the upcoming year's bike instead of the past year.
So how come they have only released one 2015 bike, why don't they just release all the 2015 bikes at the same time?

·
Registered
510 Posts
To sandbag it, build the anticipation. Kinda like Apple releasing an iPad with retina display, but then releasing the mini with the old display. They could do it, but it gives them something to hype the following year.

·
Registered
9,331 Posts
So how come they have only released one 2015 bike, why don't they just release all the 2015 bikes at the same time?
Wake up! Look at the so called 650B bike they released. There are using a 29er front end with a 10mm shim under the head tube to try and correct the Geo.
Look at the Geo numbers- all screwed up.

They didn't build a 650B bike yet, they frankstiened the closest thing they could to grab some of the sales they were losing.

Keep in mind , when the released the 29er Enduro with those really nice short chainstays, they said there wasn't a point to 650B, they accomplished the same thing with the Enduro while still being a 29er.

Based on the hack job that the Stumpy 650B is, I have a feeling it's development life cycle when something like this.

Monthly meet at headquarters " A lot of our dealers are complaining, people are coming in asking for a 650B bike and walking out when we say Specialized doesn't have one. We are losing a lot of sales, dealers want us to do something."

"Ok, go out in the warehouse and hack something together and get it out on the showroom floor. That will stop the bleeding for now. Then we can take the time to catch up, and design a proper 650B frame."

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Wake up! Look at the so called 650B bike they released. There are using a 29er front end with a 10mm shim under the head tube to try and correct the Geo.

They didn't build a 650B bike yet, they frankstiened the closest thing they could to grab some of the sales they were losing.

Keep in mind , when the released the 29er Enduro with those really nice short chainstays, they said there wasn't a point to 650B, they accomplished the same thing with the Enduro while still being a 29er.

Based on the hack job that the Stumpy 650B is, I have a feeling it's development life cycle when something like this.

Monthly meet at headquarters " A lot of our dealers are complaining, people are coming in asking for a 650B bike and walking out when we say Specialized doesn't have one. We are losing a lot of sales, dealers want us to do something."

"Ok, go out in the warehouse and hack something together and get it out on the showroom floor. That will stop the bleeding for now. Then we can take the time to catch up, and design a proper 650B frame."
It's true they did use a 10mm spacer under the headtube to correct the geo. They also designed a different rear triangle to shorten the chainstay and put the rear axle in the right place as well. The cockpit is identical to a 29r Stumpy. There should be no issues with that. It would definitely look more polished if the front triangle were redesigned but I wouldn't be surprised if the only difference was an extra 10mm on the bottom of the headtube.

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
Have you actually been on the new bike or were you at the meeting you refer to? Oh, sorry, you "have a feeling it's development life cycle when something like this ....." Nothing like being scientific.

As to the original question which you did not address, releases spread out over time can sustain the interest in your product over a longer period of time. It's called marketing. I believe (and this is only an unsubstantiated opinion) you could call a lack of marketing something like, oh, let's say Communism and we all know how well that turned out and what great products were produced. Well, maybe we don't "all" know how well that turned out, do we?

·
Registered
9,331 Posts
Have you actually been on the new bike or were you at the meeting you refer to? Oh, sorry, you "have a feeling it's development life cycle when something like this ....." Nothing like being scientific.

As to the original question which you did not address, releases spread out over time can sustain the interest in your product over a longer period of time. It's called marketing. I believe (and this is only an unsubstantiated opinion) you could call a lack of marketing something like, oh, let's say Communism and we all know how well that turned out and what great products were produced. Well, maybe we don't "all" know how well that turned out, do we?
Oh I'm sorry, I forgot there are a ton of production bikes with Geo correcting shims between the headtube and fork. How silly of me to comment 'without riding it'.

·
Registered
221 Posts

Two Tone nailed it, Specialized rushed a 650b to market due to huge sales lost to the competition. Specialized scrambled and built a Frankenstein of a bike. This is very surprising coming from a large company to risk their reputation on. BTW, that shim between the fork and head tube is a proprietary headset extender. I would not be very surprised if this current design is a one off stop gap measure until a new ground up design is released for next season. Check out this link.

http://forums.mtbr.com/27-5-650b/specialized-stumpjumper-650b-904169.html

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok so is there a point in specialized building a 27.5 enduro or not? Will they just stay with the 29?

Thx

·
Registered
221 Posts
Ok so is there a point in specialized building a 27.5 enduro or not? Will they just stay with the 29?

Thx
I think Specialized is now forced by public demand into 650b. I would bet on seeing a Enduro in a 650b, only question is when.

Montio, no one can truly answer your question other than Specialized we can only speculate...

·
Rocks belong
5,292 Posts
BTW, that shim between the fork and head tube is a proprietary headset extender.
I wonder if I'll be able to buy the proprietary lower headset cup? Increasing stack height by 10mm for ZS headtubes would be wonderful for tweaking current bikes (ie: de-twitching my Giant Anthem X 29's 71.5* HA)

Also, I'm not sure I'd call it a 10mm hack/Frankenbike. Many bikes run EC bottom/ZS top headset cups (Santa Cruz).

·
Registered
221 Posts
I wonder if I'll be able to buy the proprietary lower headset cup? Increasing stack height by 10mm for ZS headtubes would be wonderful for tweaking current bikes (ie: de-twitching my Giant Anthem X 29's 71.5* HA)

Also, I'm not sure I'd call it a 10mm hack/Frankenbike. Many bikes run EC bottom/ZS top headset cups (Santa Cruz).
Depending on your fork, you might be able to remove a spacer in the shock to extend the travel by 10mm.

The Frankenstein comment was in reference to using a 650b rear triangle, 29er front, and the headset spacer combo.

·
Rocks belong
5,292 Posts
The Frankenstein comment was in reference to using a 650b rear triangle, 29er front, and the headset spacer combo.
Well, when you put it that way... lol

Depending on your fork, you might be able to remove a spacer in the shock to extend the travel by 10mm.
[HIJACK]I've got an F120 FIT Adj on there now (20mm longer), which relaxed it ~1*. Debating an offset bush to get an additional 0.5*... Target HA is 69.5-70 [/HIJACK]

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I have ridden it. We have a couple in our shop and I took for a spin on some local trails. It felt every bit as capable as the Remedy 27.5, Santa Cruz Bronson and Solo. Have you?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am sure that the 650b Stumpy is a competent bike, however, if I was in the market for one I would only be thinking about the dedicated frame that must be in the works now. Even if this bike is good, the real 650b design will be better.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Two Tone nailed it, Specialized rushed a 650b to market due to huge sales lost to the competition. Specialized scrambled and built a Frankenstein of a bike. This is very surprising coming from a large company to risk their reputation on. BTW, that shim between the fork and head tube is a proprietary headset extender. I would not be very surprised if this current design is a one off stop gap measure until a new ground up design is released for next season. Check out this link.

http://forums.mtbr.com/27-5-650b/specialized-stumpjumper-650b-904169.html
Absolutely rushed the Stumpy under pressure to get something out there...dumb asses! look for 27.5 Enduro around November!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts