Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
I talked to a rep this weekend and he said he couldn't say anything for sure, but hinted to 2010 for a 29er Epic.

20.100 FR said:
So it's specialized new product presentation time

extensive coverage with lot of pictures here (in french)
http://www.velovert.com/reportages/index.php?idr=12

but no news on 29"ers ?

Damn i would love a 29" epic, with super light roval whells.

·
Enthusiast
5,360 Posts
anthony_coley said:
I talked to a rep this weekend and he said he couldn't say anything for sure, but hinted to 2010 for a 29er Epic.
Do you ever wonder about how bike model names get applied? What does it mean, really, to be an "Epic". In one sense, "Epic" can mean a specific frame design. But that's really not quite the case, because Epics come in different sizes. So "Epic" can mean a specific design that is scaled slightly into three or four different sizes; all sizes sharing the same, fundamental geometry and handling characteristics.

But once you throw 29er sizes into the mix, the geometry changes, so "Epic" really comes to mean more of a "state of mind" than any specific frame design. Doesn't it?

It's all down to branding and marketing, really. I mean, when we long for a 29er Epic, what is it, really, that we are longing for? Such a thing does not exist, so it would seem that what we really want is a 29er that embodies many of the characteristics that we find in the current, Epic lineup.

At the end of the day, it seems like model names stand more for concepts than for specific frame designs.

Just some random thoughts from me here at the end of the work week.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Specialized Family Names

Specialized names their bikes according to "families." All of Stumpjumper FSR's fit the rider about the same way and are designed for the same type of riding. The headtube angle is different on the 29er, but that's done to make it feel the same way as the other Stumpjumper FSR's

In the same way, you can have an Epic 29er and still have it be an Epic.

·
small member
610 Posts
JonathanGennick said:
Do you ever wonder about how bike model names get applied? What does it mean, really, to be an "Epic". In one sense, "Epic" can mean a specific frame design. But that's really not quite the case, because Epics come in different sizes. So "Epic" can mean a specific design that is scaled slightly into three or four different sizes; all sizes sharing the same, fundamental geometry and handling characteristics.

But once you throw 29er sizes into the mix, the geometry changes, so "Epic" really comes to mean more of a "state of mind" than any specific frame design. Doesn't it?

It's all down to branding and marketing, really. I mean, when we long for a 29er Epic, what is it, really, that we are longing for? Such a thing does not exist, so it would seem that what we really want is a 29er that embodies many of the characteristics that we find in the current, Epic lineup.

At the end of the day, it seems like model names stand more for concepts than for specific frame designs.

Just some random thoughts from me here at the end of the work week.
:thumbsup:
You bring back one of the basic questions of metaphysics : what is it that makes things that share the same name similar? I like this stuff... (former philosophy major)
But here, I think what people want in an "Epic" is mostly the rear suspension design with the chainstay mounted shock (what Merida, Centurion and others call LRS for Low Ratio System)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.