Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just put these tires on my Stumpy FSR. I love how fast rolling they are, but the traction is a little sketchy on the front tire in the turns. I'm considering swapping just the front tire out with something that has a bit more grab. I'm riding mostly fire road/singletrack, dry conditions, hard pack and loose over hard pack, some sandy areas.

A couple that I'm considering are the Maxxis Ignitor and Specialized Roll X. Suggestions?

·
Low speed, High Drag
946 Posts
I had pretty good luck, with the Fast-trak, on the rear, but I don't think it's the right tire for the front. I used the Fast-Trak in the rear, and a Resolution, in the front. I've also had real good results, with the Panaracer Rampages, on my 29er.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
andybot2000 said:
Just put these tires on my Stumpy FSR. I love how fast rolling they are, but the traction is a little sketchy on the front tire in the turns. I'm considering swapping just the front tire out with something that has a bit more grab. I'm riding mostly fire road/singletrack, dry conditions, hard pack and loose over hard pack, some sandy areas.

A couple that I'm considering are the Maxxis Ignitor and Specialized Roll X. Suggestions?
Hmmm...a low tread tire does not corner very well. What a surprise!

Almost anything with more tread including the regular Fast Trak may work better.

·
Quack Attack
238 Posts
I have Resolution Pros on the front, roll-x sworks in the back and have no problems and I ride in the same conditions as you do.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Speedster said:
Experienced the same -- too sketchy for cornering or anything non-hard packed. I went to the 2bliss 2.2 Fast Track. Not as fast but corners better.
I agree. I am currently running the Roll-X 2bliss 2.0 in the back with the Fast Track 2.2 2bliss in the front. I've bee very happy with this set up for my local conditions - dry hardpack, roots, rocks, loose-over singletrack.

Play with the pressures a little bit, but if you decide you need to get a new one, remember to use Spec's tire warranty to get it.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Another here with the Res up front and fastrack out back. I think the Res is way better up front than the fastracks. I had the regular ft up front and it did not hold corners nearly as well.

I will most likely be trying the roll-x out back soon. The Res up front with the Roll-x out back reminds me of the old team control/team master combo.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I tried out the Resolution up front yesterday. Way more grippy, but it sorta feels too round. I'm running it at 35 PSI - can I get away with a lower pressure than that? I'm riding a medium frame and I weigh about 185 lbs with all my gear on.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I weigh 188, so figure somewhere around 205-210 dressed w/Camelbak. I am currently running 28psi in my Fast Track 2.2 s bliss.

Back when I ran the 2.0 Adrenaline w/Stan's I had it around 28psi as well. Air is cheap ;)

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
andybot2000 said:
I tried out the Resolution up front yesterday. Way more grippy, but it sorta feels too round. I'm running it at 35 PSI - can I get away with a lower pressure than that? I'm riding a medium frame and I weigh about 185 lbs with all my gear on.
Yes, try dropping the pressure and see how it feels - until it feels mushy/rolly (or hits the rim or pinch flats), then just add a bit of air till it feels right.

·
Registered
920 Posts
When I first went tubeless, yes, I noticed a weight savings as I used Stan's with regular tires.

I blew out the sidewall on my rear tire, and decided to give a true tubless tire a shot.

It was a world of difference. I was able to drop my pressures even further (I had been running around 40psi with tubes, down to around 35 with the Stan's) and traction increased greatly. On my first ride with them, I made it up 2 short but technical climbs I had always spun out on before.

I agree with Shiggy - if you are going to run tubless, go with tubless rims and tires. Add some sealant if you are worried about punctures, and enjoy!

·
Quack Attack
238 Posts
andybot2000 said:
I run 28-30 on my Resolution up front. Seems to give me the best combo in all local conditions. I have Stans in both. I'm a lightweight though....160 with all my gear.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.