Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I think we should go back
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this bike: http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?arc=2005&spid=21431 and it has alivio deraillers and when I shift it takes a long time for it to shift and sometimes doesnt even shift then when I am going along the chain comes off the gear I was in and goes to the gear I wanted and sometimes that causes my feet to slip off the pedals (I am talking about when you shift the chain coomes off and all of the sudden there is no load when pedaling. Also when I am in 3 and 7 it is on the gear of 3 and six and I have to move it over to 7 with my hand. Do you know what would cause this? Do I need a tune-up? Also when doing like a 3 foot jump/drop sometimes the hit on landing causes the chain to come off and basically shift...

EDIT: How much better is a Shimano acera than my alivio rear deraillers?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
You most likely don't need a new derailleur, just a tune. Is it not upshifting properly, or downshifting properly?

If it takes a while to upshift (i.e., go to a smaller cog), you need to decrease cable tension by tightening the barrel adjuster found on the derailleur or shifter (or there may be adjusters on both, but they both serve the same purpose). Turn the adjuster clockwise a quarter turn at a time and see if that improves things.

If it hesitates to downshift, you need to increase tension by loosening the barrel adjuster. Turn it CCW a quarter turn at a time.

·
I think we should go back
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since I have a thread I thought I might as well ask which one out of these has better dricetrain components?

Iron Horse warrior 4.0:

Front Derailleur: SUN RACE FDM90, 34.9MM CLAMP
Rear Derailleur: SHIMANO ACERA
Shifters: SHIMANO ALIVIO EZ-FIRE
Brakes Levers: SHIMANO ALIVIO
Brakes: TEKTRO IOX W/ 160MM ROTORS
Chain: KMC Z-72
Crankset: FSA DYNA DRIVE, 15-17"=170MM, 19-21"=175MM
Cassette: SHIMANO HG-30 11/32T, 8SPEED

05 hotrock A1 FS 24:

FRONT DERAILLEUR Shimano Acera, 31.8mm clamp, bottom pull REAR DERAILLEUR Shimano Altus SHIFT LEVERS Shimano RS-41 "Revo" twist shifters, 3/7speed FREEWHEEL Shimano HG37, 7 speed, 14x28tCHAIN Shimano IGCRANKSETTruvativ �ISO Flow�, alloy 160mm with replaceable chainrings and capless bolts CHAINRINGS Truvativ 42t 7075alloy, heat-treated Cr-Mo 32t and 22t BOTTOM BRACKET Truvativ, square taper, 68x113mm, Cr-Mo spindle, sealed cartridge bearing, drive static side crank stops

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.