Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings Everyone,

I'm looking for some opinions, especially any Canucks (or others who don't mind doing currency conversion).

I've been emailing with a guy who has a Specialized 02 StumpJumper FSR XC Comp for sale. I know it's a bit old, but it seems to be in good shape (I have seen pictures, but not the actual bike yet). It's been upgraded a bit from the looks, and has a Rock Shox SID on the front, and a Fox Float on the rear. I'm not sure what components are on it for derailers and such.

He's asking about $1000 Canadian for it. If this bike is in good shape, is this a good deal? Or am I better off buying a lower end bike for a little more (like a 05 Kona Kikipu) and slowly upgrading? It's been a while since I've ridden (my last ride was stolen, and I've been broke and lazy), but I was mostly trail, single track, with occasional jaunts off trail, but never any big drops or jumps (a foot or two at most). Any thoughts are appreciated, whether it's on the value of the bike, or its suitability to my riding style.

Thanks in advance.

·
MattSavage
2,481 Posts
It's a great trailbike...

I don't know about 1000 canadian though. I definately lose the fork. Go with something in the 100mm range, Manitou Black or MX Pro or something. Sid forks are about worthless for aggressive trailriding.

I have an 03 FSR XC, which is the exact same frame. It's very versatile and upgradeable. With a stock Float shock, it's not a great pedaler, though. You really have to be smooth and stay in the saddle. That's just an FSR trait. The good thing is, though, that they are very supple over the bumps while pedaling and braking.

I think you'll like, just try to talk the guy down a bit, so you can buy a different fork.

G

·
I just picked up an '05. I'm not well versed enough to know the differences, but if this bike is any indication you really can't miss. I did my research and didn't find what I thought would be a better all around bike for the money. So far it is proving me 100% right.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Same here, I think you would enjoy the bike, but for the riding you described, the SID isn't the best fork choice, and worth upgrading when you had extra $$. If you can talk him down it's not bad.

Otherwise, check your LBS for new FSRs, they have improved the frames and shocks, and '04s are clearing out pretty cheap (not $1000cdn though). An '05 Kikapu would still not be as good a suspension as the '02 FSR (but fresher parts obviously).

·
MattSavage
2,481 Posts
ChoirBoy said:
Thanks for the input so far. Any other thoughts out there? Why would you switch the Rockshox Sid? Is it not a good fork?
It's a race oriented fork. Not very supple or stiff laterally. Just enough suspension to take the edge off. Not practical for trail riding.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.