Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At 3,600 kms i am just out of the shop, my Magura have new pads, front and rear. Is it just usual? Is there a brake-in process i should fallow?
I am just a light recreational rider.
Happy trails.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
You need to bed in new pads. It "keys" the pads to the rotors, and help to avoid weird noises and vibrations.

Accelerate to 15-20mph or 25-30kph, then brake hard BUT release the brakes before stopping
Repeat this until the brakes feel noticeably more powerful. Magura say do this up to 50 times...I've never used Magura, but on other brakes 15-20 is usually enough.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You need to bed in new pads. It "keys" the pads to the rotors, and help to avoid weird noises and vibrations.

Accelerate to 15-20mph or 25-30kph, then brake hard BUT release the brakes before stopping
Repeat this until the brakes feel noticeably more powerful. Magura say do this up to 50 times...I've never used Magura, but on other brakes 15-20 is usually enough.
Thanks, i guess i do that back to back fast to build up heat?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Yeah, I have Magura's and just swapped put to new pads. 15-20 hard stops as mentioned already is all you should need. Magura is crazy with their 50x nonsense lol.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
There are a number of useful youtube vidoes for bedding in brakes to follow (not fallow). It will be good to watch how the process works in practice.

As for special care of the new brake -remove them each night. Bring them in the house and tuck them nicely into bed. They prefer a low-oil diet for a country style breakfast in the morning. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.