Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I like Monkeys
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I mentioned in a previous post a few of us are doing the Glenwood Horse Trail / Spec Mines Loop near Montvale this Saturday. This is an all day 20+ mile ride with great technical singletrack, cimbing, fast downhills and some fire road riding. This will be a long trip so be sure to bring a lunch and plenty of water for the ride. Also, make sure you have spare tubes etc. There is a bailout along the parkway at about half way just in case you're feeling a little punky. But we won't need that will we?

Plan on LEAVING the Sheetz at 460/811 in New London (Just west of Lynchburg on 460) at 10:00 Saturday morning. That should put us on the trail by 11:00 and give us plenty of time to finish the ride.We'll leave this late to allow it to warm up a bit before we start. We hope to see a lot of the Sherando Survivors there.

Jay...How is the shoulder?

VaughnA

·
Registered
537 Posts
Sounds like a nice ride. I'm suffering from a bad sinus infection right now or I'd come out for it. Be sure to post the next time you ride it. Hopefully I'll be well by then.

·
Registered
7,019 Posts
...ok, I admit it...I am suuuuuuuuper jealous. Also suffering from a bad case of the jones'!!!! That is a really fun ride & you guys will have a blast!!!!

Vaughn, shoulder is healing very nicely & ahead of schedule, thanks. Started PT this week & only 7 more weeks until I begin the aggressive rehab!!!

To console myself, I put a downpayment on a custom steel 29er SS from Wolfhound this week! It is gonna be real purdy ;)

PS. In case you haven't seen the pics from the Turner board, here are my scope pics from surgery:

·
I like Monkeys
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Glad to hear you are doing ok! But you'll be back soon and we can setup a few more of these out-of-town rides. I'm anxious to see the ride, I'm not a 29er or SSer but I love looking at bikes, especially customs. Sounds like you and Mike will be hitting the recovery road about the same time. I can't see the photos until I get home but I'll take a look.

PS, There seems to be a lot of bulldozing at Candler's. Do you know what is happening? It's starting to get a bit worrysome.

·
Registered
7,019 Posts
VaughnA said:
Glad to hear you are doing ok! But you'll be back soon and we can setup a few more of these out-of-town rides. I'm anxious to see the ride, I'm not a 29er or SSer but I love looking at bikes, especially customs. Sounds like you and Mike will be hitting the recovery road about the same time. I can't see the photos until I get home but I'll take a look.

PS, There seems to be a lot of bulldozing at Candler's. Do you know what is happening? It's starting to get a bit worrysome.
...who's mike?

...what part of candler's in particular? I haven't ridden there in a week:D I do plan to get up there for a hike this coming week tho.

·
I like Monkeys
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mike Coco from LC was hit by a car last weekend. Broke his ankle and some vertibrae. Kenny posted it on the CVMA yahoo group. Are you signed up for that group?

I've heard that the area around the top entrance by the tower gate was basically flattened by a dozer! You have to pick your way through it to get to the top of the 'Bridge' Trail. I haven't seen it for myself, just heard about it.

·
I like Monkeys
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bonk

I don't know if I went out too hard, didn't eat enough or just got too fat over winter but I was pretty much toasted at the end of the horse trail so I bailed on the trip down (and back up) spec mines. A friend of mine felt the same and bailed out with me. Three others did the other loop and they looked exhausted at the end of it. One of the stronger mtb riders around here said he was so tired that he was fighting just getting off and walking on a fire road climb so I don't feel too bad for wimping out. But it was a great ride anyway, and we've agreed to try it again when we are in a little better shape. It was an absolutely beautiful day and ride.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Wow, sounds like a challenging ride!

All I know is that when I first opened this thread, I saw Jay's pic's but didn't see who posted them. I was a bit bewildered as to what the heck I was looking at for a moment...haha.

Jay, a Wolfhound eh? I'm %100 jealous, his bikes are beauties! :thumbsup:

So does this mean you going to sell the Sultan to me real cheap? hee he ;)

·
Registered
7,019 Posts
mud'n'sweat said:
Wow, sounds like a challenging ride!

All I know is that when I first opened this thread, I saw Jay's pic's but didn't see who posted them. I was a bit bewildered as to what the heck I was looking at for a moment...haha.

Jay, a Wolfhound eh? I'm %100 jealous, his bikes are beauties! :thumbsup:

So does this mean you going to sell the Sultan to me real cheap? hee he ;)
Last minute call...out with the Badger, in with the Wolfhound...hehe. I am contemplating a trip to San Jose for the handmade bike builders show to meet Fred & ride his bikes.

Sell the Sultan? Phat chance baby....I might be selling the RFX tho (just not riding it) & the Inbred. I think I might consolidate to 2 rides (of course this could just be the talk of 1.5 weeks off the bike) :D

Vaughn...that is a tough ride with a couple gruelling climbs...don't feel too bad. I'll hit it up with you guys in the spring for sure!

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Jay, I'm really considering the Sultan through SSinga, but I need to give it another test ride before I do. I'd like to hit some techier DH and climbs, maybe even on my own saddle instead of your arse intruder! :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.