Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
otbmbc.com
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get my first FS rig.

I'm looking for something decent in the $1500-1800 range.

I've narrowed my choices to the basic Enduro Disc, FSR XC Comp Disc, or the Giant Trance 3.

I'm not a real aggressive rider, YET, but I don't want to buy a cross country bike then outgrow it and want something with more travel in a couple of months. This is why I want the Enduro. But I hear the Giant Trance 3 is very capable in rough terrain and comes with Hydro brakes whereas the other two models don't.

Is the Specialized FSR XC too light or too little travel?

Being an average climber, will the Enduro hold me back?

Will the Trance 3 have all that I want?

Is 5" of travel worth the higher weight and price tag of the Enduro?

Thanks in advance.....

·
Registered
253 Posts
It depends on how agressive you are going to get. I wonder why the stumpjumper FSR isn't on your plate? I would cross out the fsrxc. The trance is a nice bike and should be a good ride. The new enduro's are 6" travel bikes this year, I think. I would test ride the stumpy fsr as well. Not only is the stumpy more in your price range, it is an incredible bike.

·
otbmbc.com
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
richeyr said:
It depends on how agressive you are going to get. I wonder why the stumpjumper FSR isn't on your plate? I would cross out the fsrxc. The trance is a nice bike and should be a good ride. The new enduro's are 6" travel bikes this year, I think. I would test ride the stumpy fsr as well. Not only is the stumpy more in your price range, it is an incredible bike.
The way things are going, I probably will be getting pretty aggressive. Six inches does seem like a bit much travel for me, however.

I'll check the stumpy but it seems that the model w/disc brakes is over $2200. I may be wrong but I'll check a few LBS's.

Leaning towards the Trance 3 - and it comes with hydro-brakes to boot.

We'll see....

·
otbmbc.com
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went for the 05 Stumpjumper FSR 100 Comp Disc.

I didn't plan on purchasing this bike at first because the MSRP was $2000 and most online places were showing the bike @ as much as $2100.

Finally, I was able to get to my LBS in Reseda, CA, and they had the bike @ $1799! Not only was that their regular price for this bike, but they gave me a 5% student discount as well. They even had my size on-site and built up. I put a "down" on that sucker right then and there. Its going to take another couple of months to pay it off but I'll have it soon enough.

Hello, full squishy world!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.