Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 248 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just got our first shipment of Spearfish frames in! Made some great discoveries, thought I would share.

Small Frame has plenty of room for a Large water bottle (pic attached)

Actual Frame Weights (with shock & seat collar) on the Digital Scale:
Small - 5lbs 4oz
Med - didn't receive any Meds
Lrg - 5lbs 12oz
XL - 5lbs 15oz

Then we compared the Lrg Frame weight to a Large Santa Cruz Tallboy....keep in mind that these are two very different riding frames and carbon vs aluminum, bbbuuutttt....

Large Spearfish - 5lbs 12oz....$999
Large Tallboy - 5lbs 6oz.....$2,442

I think there will be a lot of Spearfish hitting the trails this year!

Attachments

G

·
918XC said:
We have sold quite a few Tallboys and they have ranged in weight from 4lbs 15oz to the Large we just weighed today which is 5lbs 6oz.....
Perhaps your finger was on the scale. ;)

I'm not sure what the point is in comparing two unalike frames with little customer overlap, then doing so with a weight inconsistent with many reported samples. I doubt many Spearfish buyers are considering Tallboys and vice versa so it's unimportant, but I know with confidence that my frame is a lot lighter than you suggest. If I weighed a Tallboy at 5lbs 6oz given what I know, I'd look into why it's so heavy, not use that information to pump the Spearfish in the forums.

G

·
918XC said:
I am not suggesting your frame doesn't weigh what you say it does.....thank you for your opinion though
You are suggesting the large weighs 5#6 and the XL only 5#2 then. I guess weights are simply a matter of opinion. Given that, I wonder how much the Spearfishes really weigh.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I apologize for confusing you so much.
Here are the facts:
I have personally weighed 30+ Tallboy Frames, the weight ranges have been from 4lbs 15oz (Med Matte Carbon Monarch) to 5lbs 6oz (Large Orange RP23).
I don't know why the Large Orange we have weighs 5lbs 6oz.....I personally have an XL Matte Carbon and it weighs 5lbs 3oz.
I totally believe the weights you are stating and if what I have written previously leads you to believe otherwise, I apologize for the confusion.

The opinions I was thanking you for sharing were about customer cross-over etc. And, yes you are right I was pumping up the Spearfish based on the Tallboy weight.

Here is why: The Tallboy is one of the benchmarks for FS 29er frame weights. For Salsa to produce an Aluminum frame that is close in weight (to all the Tallboy frame weights) and have the frame priced at $999....that is something to applaud, IMO.
And people, whether they are shopping both frames or not, will be impressed and interested in a $999 FS 29er frame that weighs less than 6lbs.

I hope that clears up any further confusion, and again, thank you for your opinions on the matter.

G

·
Thank you for the clarification. I feel using the heaviest weight as the single representative weight is misleading. That doesn't detract from the Spearfish which seems an excellent value.

I suspected your frame was painted though I'm not sure that's the entire difference. Regardless, anyone who really cares about the TB weight should take the no-cost weight upgrade by choosing black. ;)

G

·
iliketoridebikes said:
holy crap finally a bike that is exactly the same as my five year old fisher sugar 292 !!!!
Dan Fuhrmann, stop being such a sally hiding behind your screen.

Yeah, its exactly like your Fisher! Other than bearings vs shitty bushings, and 5.5lbs vs 6.5lbs, and that be-otch name on the down tube.

·
Registered
234 Posts
all I know is I am picking up my bike today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (actually tomorrow--i might not be able to get there today). the bike shop e-mailed me last night that my medium framed * bike is ready to go--I AM STOKED!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

* i'll see if they weighed the frame and let ya'll know what it is if they did

1 - 20 of 248 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.