Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I've got some lateral play in the rear wheel. I noticed it on the commute home yesterday, but haven't had time to look at it yet. Anyone know about the internals of these hubs?

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Thanks for the link. Whats with the special tool? Anyone able to service these things at home?

·
Registered
665 Posts
Hmmm

I've got that special tool but didn't do any good on my speedcities. Mine had a problem with the rear hub and was covered by warranty. My LBS sent them to Mavic and they put a new freehub body on it and I don't know what else. The problem with it all was that it took a month for the whole process. I bought a new set after a week and sold the speedcities.

Good luck!

·
17.5" pistons of love
183 Posts
RobW said:
I've got some lateral play in the rear wheel. I noticed it on the commute home yesterday, but haven't had time to look at it yet. Anyone know about the internals of these hubs?
The FTS hubs usually are adjusted while on the bike with the qr closed. Using that special tool that any shop that sells mavic wheels should have piles of extras sitting around, you engage the small holes on the non-drive side of the axle. Give it about a 1/4 turn at a time each time checking to see if the play is gone. The idea being to have it as loose as possible without any play. I've not worked on speed citys but from the pics the hubs look the same.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I futzed around with it, got the lateral play out but it still felt funny. Took it to the shop, and their verdict is the freehub is toast...

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Just talked to the guy at the shop, freehub is toast and Mavic has issued an RA. Talked to the people at Mavic who said I'd have it back in 4 weeks, my shop guy said count on 6. Apparantly, they have some screwed up policy where they won't let shops buy repair parts. There WILL be a pair of Speedcities on ebay as soon as it gets back...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.