Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty proud of my hub. He just finished Tour Divide as a racer in 25 days, 15 hours, 49 minutes. Over 170,000' feet of elevation, 2731 miles.
He did 700 miles last year on his Trance with a BOB and decided to go all out race mode this year on a Salsa Cutthroat with absolute minimal gear. He'd trained since November, did lots of planning prep and here ya go, 48th guy in and second 60+. He had his 6Oth birthday in April.

·
Co Springs
2,414 Posts
Wowzers.
One of the best reasons to post I've seen in a long time. Well deserved applause !

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
His coach just happened to have a friend who is a pro photographer, in Silver Springs NM. He caught my hub with just 100 miles to go. Last stretch is easy pavement thank god.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
His coach just happened to have a friend who is a pro photographer, in Silver Springs NM. He caught my hub with just 100 miles to go. Last stretch is easy pavement thank god.
[email protected]$$!!!

How long after the finish did he get back on a bike? Whenever I do something really limit-pushing I can barely look at my bike for the better part of a week. I've never done anything remotely as difficult as you though, so I can't imagine.

Of course, he's probably just one of those folks that wanted to ride the heat day anyway !

Congratulations to him

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We went out and did neighborhood errands the next day.

He's pretty cooked. Been eating and napping a lot. His coach wants him to get out and spin but he's not terribly motivated.

·
Registered
17,231 Posts
I think that's Silver City? I heard someone was making some sort of documentary about the race, was this photographer involved with that?

Tough ride/race for sure, congrats to your husband and anyone else finishing it.

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There was a solo elite female (Lael something) who was riding with a documentary crew. Being as it is a 100% self support race,there was a lot of controversy about riding with a film crew following supposedly not interacting. She scratched due to weather in Colorado along with a handful of other elites...5' of snow in the passes that they could not get through

·
Registered
684 Posts
We were dot watching the Tour Divide that Friday through Sunday. The conditions in the mountains were a deadly combination.

They were all halted at Brush Mountain Lodge by the mud. The snow in the passes was about 2'. Sofiane Sehili was in the lead and made it up to the pass. He turned back around sometime after midnight in a raging blizzard where he couldn't find the trail even with his 2 GPS units. Josh Kato overtook him and bivied down on the mountain. Josh actually found a cave and went to go into it only to find out that a mountain lion was also taking shelter in it.

Josh and 3 others made it over before it warmed and the road up from MBL turned into some of the worst mud anyone had ever seen. Held up the rest of the pack for a couple of days. Josh got deathly ill and ended up scratching at Del Norte. When his dot stopped at the hospital, we knew something was wrong.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Pretty proud of my hub. He just finished Tour Divide as a racer in 25 days, 15 hours, 49 minutes. Over 170,000' feet of elevation, 2731 miles.
He did 700 miles last year on his Trance with a BOB and decided to go all out race mode this year on a Salsa Cutthroat with absolute minimal gear. He'd trained since November, did lots of planning prep and here ya go, 48th guy in and second 60+. He had his 6Oth birthday in April.
I managed 3 100+ mile days up there a few years back. What he did is truly something to be proud of.

·
Registered
14,836 Posts
She scratched due to weather in Colorado along with a handful of other elites...5' of snow in the passes that they could not get through
She didn't scratch due to the weather. She decided [my interpretation] to end the BS around the filming of her ride by dropping out of the race and finishing the whole ride without a SPOT tracker. She didn't stop riding.

https://theradavist.com/2019/06/tour-divide-race-part-4/

·
Registered
684 Posts
I learned my first year up there that even though it is unbelievably beautiful, the scenery gets old after a while and boredom sets in.

Cyclists are like dogs. Some dogs will chase the darn ball all day long and it never gets old. Some will chase the ball but then decide that it's better to sit down with people and chill out.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.