Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got done with a second winter in my Louis Garneau boots. The ones that the Fasterkatts are a copy of.

First winter, it wasn't all that cold, they did alright. This winter, they were just never warm enough. Toes usually went numb after 2 hours. And, in the mud this spring, the zippers have been a total PITA.

Assuming I want to stay with clipless (because I do), what worked for y'all this winter? what kept your toes warm? What kept them dry? What didn't work, what fell apart?

Not looking for suggestions for flat-pedal boots. I got that covered.

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
I used Lake303s - this is my second year on them. I tend to run hot, but these are a game changer for me.

I have tried every trick in the book over the last 25 years to get my XC shoes to work in the winter - it was rare that I finished a winter ride without numb feet (not just toes). With the Lakes I've never had cold feet at all - I should say our weather rarely goes below 10F. I think my coldest ride this year was probably right around that mark, I rode for 2+ hours, no problems with cold feet at all.

I was REALLY concerned about that BOA system, but it has worked great. I have had no issues with it at all.

I may have bought mine a size too big or my feet are too narrow, but they don't have a very snug fit like my XC shoes do. That's not a huge issue for me, but it might bug someone who is looking for ultra-efficiency.

·
is buachail foighneach me
6,589 Posts
6 year old Lake MXZ 302 in the correct size for my foot with 40 Below Overflow Supergaiters attached to them. 6 year old, flattened, stock insoles. Ridiculously warm. A little bit of a hassle at first to get in and out, but you get used to it pretty quick. This setup has convinced me that it is NOT the cleat acting as a cold sink that causes most of my cold foot issues, because adding insulation everywhere else did the trick. Used down to about -20F for many hours with very warm feet. Over 25 degrees they are definitely too warm for anything over a couple of hours.

·
*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
854 Posts
45NRTH Wolvhammer SPD's worked awesome for me all winter. Toasty feet and no issues with them what-so-ever.

Let the 45NRTH bashing commence...

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
244 Posts
I've only used these Shimano SH-MW81 Cold weather shoes on my mountain bike without much snow on the ground, or for just really cold days. I'm not sure how they will do on the fat bike, we'll see next winter I guess. I'm hoping to not have to buy a $250 pair of winter cycling shoes. I like the way these fit my feet. Can wear a warm sock and there is some room in the toe box if I wanted to stick a toe warmer onto my sock.

I also have a pair of DVS Contax Hi Snow shoe. They're like a winterized high top with a skate sole. Probably good for platform pedals. They are pretty warm, lightweight.
DVS Contax Hi Snow Shoe - Men's | Dogfunk.com

I'll have to see which I prefer next winter.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've only used these Shimano SH-MW81 Cold weather shoes on my mountain bike without much snow on the ground, or for just really cold days. I'm not sure how they will do on the fat bike, we'll see next winter I guess. I'm hoping to not have to buy a $250 pair of winter cycling shoes. I like the way these fit my feet. Can wear a warm sock and there is some room in the toe box if I wanted to stick a toe warmer onto my sock.

I also have a pair of DVS Contax Hi Snow shoe. They're like a winterized high top with a skate sole. Probably good for platform pedals. They are pretty warm, lightweight.
DVS Contax Hi Snow Shoe - Men's | Dogfunk.com

I'll have to see which I prefer next winter.
Those + a pair of retrofitz retrofitz - gallery kinda inspire my inner cheapskate...

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Specialized Defrosters worked well for me down to about 20F. Was tempted by Wolvhammers, but would be overkill around these parts (NJ). I was on flats for a good chunk of this winter since we had snow.

p.s., "Tempted by Wolvhammers" would be a good name for a metal album.

·
Fat!Drunk!Slow!
1,453 Posts
The Keen Brixen worked fine again this year, starting to wear in odd places along the soft areas but still work as expected.

·
aka bOb
8,813 Posts
The Keen Brixen worked fine again this year, starting to wear in odd places along the soft areas but still work as expected.

I sent them an email in the hopes of making a cycling specific boot. They already make a clipless sandal why not do a boot as well.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Wolvehammers for me. The ever popular zipper blowout failure plagued me this winter, but so far, customer service has been very good. In the mean time, I still use the boots by just doing up the velcro with no difference in fit compared to the one with the good zipper.

Super toasty in -25C.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I've only used these Shimano SH-MW81 Cold weather shoes on my mountain bike without much snow on the ground, or for just really cold days. I'm not sure how they will do on the fat bike, we'll see next winter I guess. I'm hoping to not have to buy a $250 pair of winter cycling shoes. I like the way these fit my feet.
I've had a pair of these for 2 years now and really like them. I wear one pair of Smartwool socks and down to around 30 degrees they are no problem whatsoever. I can ride for a couple of hours at temps as low as single digits but my toes do get cold. I don't go out in below zero temps but I am sure these would not be very comfortable without the addition of heated insoles, and/or possibly the gaiters that Sean mentioned below.

·
turtles make me hot
11,484 Posts
Another vote for Lake 303. I swear, I wear em with a single pair of Under Armor socks and my feet are a non issue. Warm down to anything we had in NY this past winter.

·
Registered
86 Posts
lake 303's

used hiking boots with platforms but couldn't spin and put down power on climbs.

303's have exceeded my expectations: warm (10-15 no prob), easy to get in and out, snug enough fit to put power down and can spin circles making climbs in loose stuff a cake.

one size up for my D width feet allows one thick and one thin sock.
the weird cable system allows surprisingly adequate tightening.
not very heavy, found em for $220 - not too expensive.

i do have a rubbing spot that i'll have a cobbler look at.

great investment i shoulda started with.

lake 303 (640x480).jpg

·
Registered
164 Posts
Wolvhammers worked great for me this year. Toasty warm, and I always have problems with cold toes. Impressive.

SPD pedals SUCKED in the snow, but the Wolvhammers rocked.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Vasque Taku GTX w/ medium weight smartwool did the track down to 20 degrees for up to 10 miles.
Under 20 degrees or over 10 miles I added Grabber toe warmers.

I really like goretex hiking boots for winter riding. Not as bulky or heavy as snow boots, yet still windproof/waterproof enough to maintain comfort. Not SPD but I prefer platforms on all my bikes anyway.

41deLf3gxuL._SX395_.jpg

Surprised to find them in 13 Wide, and got such a good deal on them at $75/pair that I bought a second pair. First time in my life I ever did that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Specialized Defroster Trail worked for me this winter. Below 20°F I wore two thin pairs of socks with toe warmers in between.

·
Registered
116 Posts
FYI, In my experience, Lake 303s are a lot warmer than previous models. Used them to -10f with heavy wool (nice that you can select wide) no problems. I run Fasterkatts down to about 20 (wish they were lighter in comparison).

1 - 20 of 33 Posts