Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,565 Posts
Is it bigger, relatively speaking, than the 26" version? I have one destined for the rear wheel on my soon to be built 96er, and it is pretty narrow for a "big" tire.
 

·
Harmonius Wrench
Joined
·
8,254 Posts
Yes

steevo said:
are there any frames that will actually fit that tire?
Inbred 29"er and ScandAl, also the Haro Mary that's coming out in August was designed with this new tire in mind. Of course, any custom builder should be able to accomodate this new offering.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
48,238 Posts
PeanutButterBreath said:
Is it bigger, relatively speaking, than the 26" version? I have one destined for the rear wheel on my soon to be built 96er, and it is pretty narrow for a "big" tire.
It is speced to be the same width as the 26" version, which is a massive casing size. The same as the Timberwolf 2.7. The tread is narrower. Francios has posted pics of his Retrotec with the 26" WW 2.55LT. They are not a small tire.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,565 Posts
I originally bought mine to replace a 2.6 Kenda Kinetics, and the 2.55" WWs seemed pretty small. Granted, the Kenda has much bigger nobs. I also didn't compare them side by side with air in them, so it could be an optical illusion. Calipers don't lie.

They aren't a small tire. They just didn't strike me as HUGE compared to the Kenda or the Mutano 2.4 I am running on my 26er. Then again, I guess they shouldn't.
 

·
highly visible
Joined
·
3,282 Posts
steevo said:
are there any frames that will actually fit that tire?
The photos I've been seeing on mtbr of tire clearance of recent frames show lots of room around a 2.1 ... leading me to believe that many of them may be able to clear a 2.5. Possible candidates include the 2006 Dos Niner, Flyte Celsius 9, Haro Mary and Niner hardtails. I'm pretty sure it will also fit my KM and Vulture as well.

And that's just in back. All 29" forks I've seen will easily fit such a tire (I've run a 26x3.0 in my KM fork with plenty of room left over) and it should just barely fit the suspension forks -- though with very little extra mud clearance on the WBs.
 

·
( )
Joined
·
755 Posts
GlowBoy said:
The photos I've been seeing on mtbr of tire clearance of recent frames show lots of room around a 2.1 ... leading me to believe that many of them may be able to clear a 2.5. Possible candidates include the 2006 Dos Niner, Flyte Celsius 9, Haro Mary and Niner hardtails. I'm pretty sure it will also fit my KM and Vulture as well.

And that's just in back. All 29" forks I've seen will easily fit such a tire (I've run a 26x3.0 in my KM fork with plenty of room left over) and it should just barely fit the suspension forks -- though with very little extra mud clearance on the WBs.

Hmmm, I guess we'll see. I own a 2006 dos niner and KM and I asked because when running an exiwolf on either, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of extra room. I'll look at it closer later. I know on my Dos it's pretty tight on the drivetrain side because I have the chainstay wrapped with handlebar tape, but probably lose just a couple mm there. Not worried about the front clearance though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,565 Posts
I looked again, this time comparing the 26x2.55 WW LT to the 29x2.3 Exi. The casing is indeed bigger. However, the lack of protruding side knobs on the WW make it seem narrow. All dimensions other than casing seemed to differ +/- 2mm at most, with overal height a tiny bit above. I checked these impressions with a caliper, just to make sure my eyes weren't playing tricks on my.

I can see the benefits of more air volume and burlier sidewalls for running on the front of my full rigid bikes. Other than that, I'm a little perplexed by this tire. It strikes me as a cushier but heavier and less aggresively knobbed Exi type. Did WTB do this because the scanty knobs on the WW allowed them to create a "bigger" tire w/o needing bigger manufacturing equipment? Or is that too cynical. I'd guess the most frames that can clear an Exi will be able to handle the WW. Maybe they just aren't in a hurry to push the envelope that much further with a truly big, aggressive 29er tire that more people want than have bikes that can handle.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
48,238 Posts
PeanutButterBreath said:
I looked again, this time comparing the 26x2.55 WW LT to the 29x2.3 Exi. The casing is indeed bigger. However, the lack of protruding side knobs on the WW make it seem narrow. All dimensions other than casing seemed to differ +/- 2mm at most, with overal height a tiny bit above. I checked these impressions with a caliper, just to make sure my eyes weren't playing tricks on my.

I can see the benefits of more air volume and burlier sidewalls for running on the front of my full rigid bikes. Other than that, I'm a little perplexed by this tire. It strikes me as a cushier but heavier and less aggresively knobbed Exi type. Did WTB do this because the scanty knobs on the WW allowed them to create a "bigger" tire w/o needing bigger manufacturing equipment? Or is that too cynical. I'd guess the most frames that can clear an Exi will be able to handle the WW. Maybe they just aren't in a hurry to push the envelope that much further with a truly big, aggressive 29er tire that more people want than have bikes that can handle.
Do a search on the Wheel/Tire and SS boards for francois' posts about the WW LT. There are some comments from Mark Weir about the what and whys of the tire.
 

·
graps the nettle
Joined
·
519 Posts
been waiting...

i've been in love with the 26x2.55LT since it came out. big, cushy, not obscenely heavy, very fast rolling, and surprisingly tractable and adaptable. only thing i haven't ridden it in so far has been really slippery grass. it has performed very well in sand, loose rock, slickrock, granite, wet rock, pavement, duffy moondust, slimeclay, loam and bluegroove hardpack.

i like it a whole lot.

initially, my moles at wtb were telling me "june" for the 29 version. just talked to a couple of the guys day before yesterday in d-ville. revised timetable has gone from "june" to "it's gonna be a while"... that from the mouth next to the horse's mouth. bummer. not sure exactly what that means, but my hunch is that we won't see them until near interbike.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
48,238 Posts
MtotheF said:
...initially, my moles at wtb were telling me "june" for the 29 version. just talked to a couple of the guys day before yesterday in d-ville. revised timetable has gone from "june" to "it's gonna be a while"... that from the mouth next to the horse's mouth. bummer. not sure exactly what that means, but my hunch is that we won't see them until near interbike.
Not surprising. At Sea Otter I was told there "should" also be a couple of new 29er-only designs ready for interbike.
 

·
highly visible
Joined
·
3,282 Posts
steevo said:
Hmmm, I guess we'll see. I own a 2006 dos niner and KM and I asked because when running an exiwolf on either, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of extra room. I'll look at it closer later. I know on my Dos it's pretty tight on the drivetrain side because I have the chainstay wrapped with handlebar tape, but probably lose just a couple mm there. Not worried about the front clearance though.
Salsa claims clearance for 2.4"s. Guess we'll have to wait and see.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,655 Posts
pressure

One thing I found running the 2.4 ADvantage tires is that these super sized thinwalled tires are very sensitive to air pressure. For me a couple pounds in the wrong direction and the tires either started to wrinkle roll or they were too bouncy. I think that running pretty wide rims helps with the tire rolling so I am running Stans FR rims on my Spot. Once I got them dialed the extra cush was noticeable and even with 25 psi in the front and 28 rear I have yet to even hear the rim ping a rock as there is so much air between the rim and the rock!

DT
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top