Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding SPD pedals for about 12 years now. I thought I'd give egg beaters a try so I picked up some Crank Bros Acids. Put them on the bike, changed out my cleats and simply cannot get used to them. I set them up for the easiest step out angle, but they just aren't like my Shimano 535's. I finally pulled them and went back to the SPD pedals. I also didn't like the way they step in. It feels as though I have to apply more pressure to get into the pedal. I've just been riding around the neighborhood and have had enough pedal related "incidents" that I've not taken them out to the trail. I wanted to go with a little more of a platform type step in, hence the purchase of the Acid's.

Will the beaters "break-in" to be a little more friendly? Is anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks, Steve

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
i did the same thing a while back. i wanted more float and some more platform. once i got used to the brothers i never wanted to go back, then i went to spd by accident when my spindle on the old pedals froze to the crank. will never go back. more stable, less float, feels better IMO. and the crank brothers always smacked on rocks and broke the clip in mech. if you like spd, stick with them

·
Registered
17 Posts
Same here

I used SPDs for a few years and then wanted more float so I tried the Candy C pedal. Used them for less then 100 miles and never felt comfortable clipping out. Went back to SPDs a few weeks ago and will never switch again.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I went from SPDs to Speedplay Frogs and now I use Eggbeaters. I like the Eggbeaters best. They do take a little more pressure to step in, but not much and I feel like they're more secure. They don't float much, which I prefer over the frogs. The 4-sided entrance makes clipping in easy, too. I also seem to wear the cleats down slower than with SPDs.

I've never had a problem unclipping in emergency situations - even in crashes.

·
Registered
179 Posts
+1 for SPD

I tried the eggbeaters last year and kept comming out of them. all that extra float makes it feel like your foot is not being held securely. I prefer the positive feel of SPDs.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I went from SPD's to Eggbeater's and have been pretty happy about it so far. I feel like I have a more consistent clip in and out than I did with my SPD's. The thing that I actually liked about the Eggbeater's was that left foot to right foot was exactly the same. With my SPD's the independent adjustment was never quite the same.

IMO.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, so I'm not alone in this. I may mess around with the beaters some more to give them the chance. On the other hand, they have hardly any wear so perhaps I'll sell them and try to find some SPD platform type pedals like the M545's. I don't know. Thanks for the responses. -Steve

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
I had some 647 with a nice platform, and the clip mechanism is pretty good even on mud. I went to some Candy's C, took some time to get used to them, but went back to 647 because I missed the platforms. Probably on some Mallets I would continue, I don't know.

Edit:

What I really didn't like of the Candy's were the lack of platform, that plastic thing around the spindle is useless IMO.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Obligatory ATAC post

Wow, a thread about pedals and no one has jumped in with how wonderful their Time ATACs are! :D Guess its up to me then...

I switched from SPDs to Time ATACs and have been very happy. The feel is different to SPDs (of course) but not in a bad way. There's a reason why ATACs have such good reviews. Try em and see for yourself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
trained_monkey said:
Wow, a thread about pedals and no one has jumped in with how wonderful their Time ATACs are! :D Guess its up to me then...

I switched from SPDs to Time ATACs and have been very happy. The feel is different to SPDs (of course) but not in a bad way. There's a reason why ATACs have such good reviews. Try em and see for yourself.
So have you tried egg beaters before? If so, how do they compare with the ATAC's? -Steve

·
i am, therefore, i ride
342 Posts
I used spd's for a year before I switched to eggbeaters. Eggbeaters gave me a feel of "hot spot" due to the small platform size of the pedal. I tried Time Atac and have been using it for 3 years now and I like it the best compared to spd and eggbeater.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Methinks they both rock, otherwise one of the platforms would have failed by now. A rider could get used to both with enough time.

I'd say SPD's stay clicked in better but are more finicky about cleat wear. Beaters can be made stupid light if you buy the spendy Ti ones. That's about the only hairs to split.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I also will be going back to my SPD's from my Crank Bros. I find I have to disengage from the eggbeaters "just right", or they hang up and I fall over. The SPD's stay clipped when I want and unclip when I want, no fighting to unclip. Actually I am going to try just platforms (no-clip) for a while first to see if I really like clipless that much, because of the problems I just mentioned. Also, clipless slide around on the pedals when unclipped. If I do back to clipless, it will be SPD.

·
In dog years, I'm dead.
1,073 Posts
nico2me said:
I used spd's for a year before I switched to eggbeaters. Eggbeaters gave me a feel of "hot spot" due to the small platform size of the pedal. I tried Time Atac and have been using it for 3 years now and I like it the best compared to spd and eggbeater.
See, now I think that's a problem with your shoe, not the pedal. I believe SPD's, Time, & some others are more tollerant of crap shoes without good stiffness & support. Ironically, I run SPD shoes with my Egg Beater pedals & never suffer from hot spots. BTW, my Egg Beaters are the real ones, not the Candies or Acids or anything else with a platform. The sole of my shoe is the only platform I need.

What really sold me on the Eggs is the simple but effective design. No excess weight, no complicated settings, & they don't clog with dirt or mud.

·
Registered
51 Posts
twotyerfryer said:
So have you tried egg beaters before? If so, how do they compare with the ATAC's? -Steve
I haven't tried the Egg Beaters. When I decided that SPDs weren't cutting it I thought about egg beaters but I read quite a few reports of people breaking their Crank Bros pedals. The reviews on MTBR.com reflected that. So I went with Times and have been very happy with the choice. :thumbsup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.