Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
b a n n e d
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm somewhat new to the SPD world . . . I have a pair of XT pedals. What sort of maintenance do I need to do on them, short of rebuilding them. i.e., do they need to be lubed, etc.? If so, where?

·
bust a move
1,978 Posts
If they act right I don't touch. If not, clean & light lube, wipe clean

·
SSOD
826 Posts
yeah, keep them dry after wet rides. Use a light lube like progold on the springs every now and then. Mine have lasted almost 4 years so far just doing these things.

·
b a n n e d
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ride in the dry dry dry . . . dust is a problem, not wet so thats good. I do wipe them down pretty regularly and will add some lube to the springs.

Thanks.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
Check for bearing play....if there is none your done....

If there is play tear it down and redo the bearings (like a cup and cone wheel bearing)...

If you get the seal set right they will last a very long time...

My XTR's are on four years now...winter and summer since the last tear down (didn't get the seal right)...

I just rinse them off when I wash the bike.

·
b a n n e d
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks . . . . the reason I ask is that there's an odd clicking and squeak coming from the drive side near the BB/front chain rings when the crank passes the 4-5:00 position. I'm trying to eliminate possibilities and figured I'd start with the real simple stuff first.

·
bust a move
1,978 Posts
I'm sure you probably have checked but make sure they are properly tight to the cranks before you take anything apart.

·
The Smiths Design
32 Posts
I have a pair of XTs that are tightened down all the way (and my cleats) but still seem kind of loose. (not enough that my foot will come out if I'm standing up on the bike, but they unclip pretty easily and my feet can still move a little) They are new this year, is this normal?

·
b a n n e d
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Could be loose cleats on your shoes, loose chainring bolts or bottom bracket.
Checked all the bolts, and felt the cleats . . . didn't try tightening them though.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have a pair of XTs that are tightened down all the way (and my cleats) but still seem kind of loose. (not enough that my foot will come out if I'm standing up on the bike, but they unclip pretty easily and my feet can still move a little) They are new this year, is this normal?
Have you tried tightening the springs on the peddles?

·
SSOD
826 Posts
Thanks . . . . the reason I ask is that there's an odd clicking and squeak coming from the drive side near the BB/front chain rings when the crank passes the 4-5:00 position. I'm trying to eliminate possibilities and figured I'd start with the real simple stuff first.
Sounds like a bb. They can creak if the threads get dirty or wet or the bearings develop play. It usually happens in the same spot of the crank rotation as well. My GXP is bad about developing noise and usually I clean it every couple months or if it gets really wet.

·
b a n n e d
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sounds like a bb. They can creak if the threads get dirty or wet or the bearings develop play. It usually happens in the same spot of the crank rotation as well. My GXP is bad about developing noise and usually I clean it every couple months or if it gets really wet.
If it were the bottom bracket, would you hear it when the bike was in the stand?

I don't hear anything when turning the cranks while the bike is in the stand. But when sitting in the saddle and riding I definitely hear it . . .

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
If it were the bottom bracket, would you hear it when the bike was in the stand?

I don't hear anything when turning the cranks while the bike is in the stand. But when sitting in the saddle and riding I definitely hear it . . .
Noises are notorious for disappearing when the bike is in the stand.

Does it still make the sound when you stand and pedal?

·
SSOD
826 Posts
^^^ Most likely not but who knows with creaks. BB usually will creak louder the harder you mash/ torque the pedals. If it's in your pedals you should be able to feel it through your foot I would think. Another option is always the qr skewers, sometimes those will get grit in them and give you noise issues.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I have nothing but good things to say about XT SPDs. I had a pair which performed great after 15 years of riding. Actually the whole XT drive train and shifters is still great after 15 years. Since it performed so well I ended up donating the bike to a high school mtb racing team. All I did for the pedals was dry the pedals off after wet rides, wash them after dirty rides, and spray White Lightening on the springs after drying them off.

·
b a n n e d
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Noises are notorious for disappearing when the bike is in the stand.

Does it still make the sound when you stand and pedal?
Checked today, and yup . . . still there. Its more like rhythmic "tic," described by my friend like a clock. First thing I checked was for rocks, sticks etc. and then I checked the tail for the FD cable or anything else. Nothing.

I DO feel it by the way in my shoes.

I am going to replace the BB (their cheap anyway) and see if that does it. I also need to do all the suspension bearings, but first will be the BB. Unfortunately, I don't know how to do it on my own . . . which means a trip to the LBS.

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
An SPD Maintanence Trick

A little trick I have been doing for a few years. I have six sets of SPDs to keep up with and have never had an issue doing this.

As long as the bearings are in good shape and do not need adjustment, re-greasing them could not be easier.
Remove the spindle from the pedal body. This very simple. Clamp the pedal body in a vice or large channel lock pliers. Loosen the spindle retaining nut. Depending on what model of pedal you have this requires a spline tool or a 17mm wrench. The spindle will come out with the bearings. The bearings are contained in a cartridge at the end of the spindle.

Now just shove a clump of fresh grease into the pedal body. Then reinstall the spindle. As you thread the spindle nut back into the pedal body, the old grease will be pushed out of the bearings and then purge out past the seal in the spindle nut.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts