Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
3 on the tree
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this topic hasn't been beaten to death, but I'll ask anyway. I've never changed the cleats for my 515's, and I've been riding them for 2+years. I just purchased some new 540's, and I am wondering how often should I change the cleats to maintain maximum performance? Thanks in advance for any replies.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
If you're not experiencing any particular engagement or disengagement problems I wouldn't worry about it. It kind of depends on how often you ride in 2 years, some guys ride 20 miles once every other weekend and some of us ride at least 100 miles each week; how much you walk and engage/disengage, weather, etc. can be different over 2 years time as well.. Since new pedals (assume 515s and 540s are pedals) usually come with cleats, you can just be safe and use the new cleats.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Carry a spare set

in your camelback. You'll never know when you will need them. My cleats are maybe 2 years old, and I carry an extra spare set. I was riding last week when we came upon a guy leaving early because he broke a cleat. I saved his day.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Yup, depends on how much you actually ride a week. I ride about 100+ miles a week, when I got my new bike that came with a new set of pedals and cleats I decided to just use the new pedals and my old cleats but withing a month I found I was clipping out un-intentioanlly and switched to the new cleats - I had my other cleats only since Sept last year and made the switch to the new ones last month, so mine lasted 7 months to how I liked how they felt. I still have the old ones just in case.

·
3 on the tree
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, all

I've had lots of unintentional disengaging and lack of the "step on the pedal and go" feeling when engaging w/the 515s. I guess those cleats are done. It sounds like replacement is a "feel" thing, so when the engagement feels off, that's when I'll switch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.