Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for the best of both worlds. I hate riding spd's on technical stuff however I do like their efficiency in an xc race. Can any one recommend a pedal that I can clip in for efficiency but clip out and ride as if they were platforms for technical stuff. I don't even know if such a thing exist. By the way, I have been riding spd's for a year or so and I am still not used to them. I am way more comfortable on platforms thanks to years of bmx racing on them. Thanks for any help!

·
(enter witty phrase here)
2,250 Posts
elf28p said:
I am looking for the best of both worlds. I hate riding spd's on technical stuff however I do like their efficiency in an xc race. Can any one recommend a pedal that I can clip in for efficiency but clip out and ride as if they were platforms for technical stuff. I don't even know if such a thing exist. By the way, I have been riding spd's for a year or so and I am still not used to them. I am way more comfortable on platforms thanks to years of bmx racing on them. Thanks for any help!
You could try these. Think this is what you're looking for. I started on them, then gave them to the wife. She likes them cause she can clip in on trails, or ride around town in sneakers.
Lickbike has them on sale for $55. Pretty good price since they're $75 everywhere else. Performance Bike has a knock off version for $25.
It's odd that you've been riding SPD's for a year and still aren't use to them. Usually a few weeks is all it takes. Do you have them adjusted properly?

https://www.lickbike.com/productpage.asp?PART_NUM_SUB='0771-00'

https://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=2275&subcategory_ID=5240#

·
Registered
62 Posts
Crank Bros...

I use the candy sl's. love em but they are a bit slippy when not clipped in, minimal platform really. you should probably look at the Mallet C's. a real platform you can also clip in to. i think it would be just what you're looking for. i haven't used the mallets but the candys are easy in and out and aren't bothered by mud at all. same system on the mallets.

·
Professional Nerd
298 Posts
daverk said:
I use the candy sl's. love em but they are a bit slippy when not clipped in, minimal platform really. you should probably look at the Mallet C's. a real platform you can also clip in to. i think it would be just what you're looking for. i haven't used the mallets but the candys are easy in and out and aren't bothered by mud at all. same system on the mallets.
I have eggbeaters on all of my bikes, but Mallet C's on my main MTB. I absolutely love them, they have the great eggbeater feel and a platform for riding in town or on a super technical trail.

After 8 months of wearing them, I still hate going clipless on one of our local trails (super technical, rocky and very steep). I've endoed a few times because the bike just started going and took me with it. I love having the option to bail if things get hairy.

-Danimal

·
Fashionably functional...
310 Posts
I'm running Mallet Ms on my FS. I actually have the Nashbar knockoffs similar to previous post on my hardtail. I got them to practice riding clipped and kept them on for convenience of a commuter bike. My friends ragged on me cuz it's a knockoff but I've abused them for two years now, street and trails, on my 200lb frame, and they still work flawlessly. Plus, they grip better than my Mallets when I'm not clipped in.

·
Slower than you...
113 Posts
elf28p said:
Can any one recommend a pedal that I can clip in for efficiency but clip out and ride as if they were platforms for technical stuff.
Guital2 said:
shimano makes quite a few actually. But they always flip to side you do not want to use, its creepy, kind of annoying.
Guital2 has the right of it. The "SPD-on-one-side / platform-on-the-other" looks like the best of both worlds, but in practice, Murphy's Law kicks in and the [email protected]#ing pedal is always upside down, regardless of which side you prefer up. My recommendation is to stick with an SPD pedal with integrated platform (Shimano PD-M545 or PD-M647).

While many people swear by Mallets, I prefer the adjustable tension that the SPD's give me. Add to this that you can get a multi-directional release cleat from Shimano (SH-51) that makes panic unclipping much easier.

tdh

·
the bomb
531 Posts
check these out

elf28p said:
I'm riding Mallets. My first pair of clipless (about 4 weeks) and I like them. the platforms on these seem to work best with shoes that have a bit of an arch. Usually the opposite for flats, but the nature of the egg mechanism protrudes quite a bit. I position the arch of my shoe over that when riding unclipped, which helps keep my foot planted.

I did try to unclip for a steep rockgarden on a recent ride, and had trouble getting my feet in a good position on the platforms. Didn't feel confident, but did have luck in other situations. Takes some practice I think.

Check out the atomlab quicksteps. These pedals are really interesting, but pricey (almost $200 :eek: mallets were $69 at super go), but I think they're really on to some thing.

here's a link. http://www.atomlab.com/home.html There is a really cool animation demonstrating the desingn. Roll over the boxes at the bottom right.

edit: oops, link doesn't work directly. Click on products, then pedals - it's called the quickstep.

Attachments

·
Registered
204 Posts
I will testify to the near clairvoyant ability of the spd / platform pedal to flip to the side you do not want to use.

I will also suggest the candy or mallet over the spds. MUCH easier to clip in and out of - mud is simply no longer an issue. You will end up riding clipped in more with an eggbeater style than a spd. Hey - you are looking at getting new pedals anyway, now is the time to change if you are going to...

·
The endless excuses guy
270 Posts
Those look interesting. I started out on SPD's, then changed to Egg Beater Mallet C's (MTB) and Candy's(MTB set up for road). Does anyone here have experience with these? Maybe I'll start a new post to ask about them.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I've used SPDs, Candys and Mallets. The Mallets are easily the best all-round pedal I've used. The Candy's are sort of a halfway house - I found their platform too small to be of much use.

·
Fashionably functional...
310 Posts
Always rode SPD's. Recently (2 weeks ago) switched to Mallets for my FS. Liked them but had a few incidents when I couldn't get clipped in/out in time. Just takes a bit of getting used to. Overall, I seem to like them. Switching over to Eggbeater S on my road bike. My buddy just had them installed on his SS and he says they are cake to engage/disengage.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
I posted a similar question days ago. To make a long history short, I was left with two options.

The Shimano PD-M647 - Same Mud-proof design as the 959's but with a platform. Shimano makes the most easiest to engage/disengage pedals according to the opinions I got and it was an important point for me, as I'm used to use my 424's fully loose.

The Time ATAC Z - Totally weather proof but disengagement not as easy.

Both have a platform.

I ride actually the PD-M424 platform clipless pedal from shimano (actually this is my third set - none of them replaced due to problems, first set got stolen, second sold with bike, third came with bike). Easy to use, dependable, cheap as hell (under 50).... but not recommendable when muddy. The moment you put a foot on the ground you're left to pedal the platform and if by chance you can engage the pedal... it becomes like the mafia, you can get in, but it's almost impossible to go out.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
I would also recommend against the use of one sided flat/ clip pedals. The work nice for easier trail rides and cruising around the block but in any technical section you want to make sure you have the footing you want on any side of the pedal right away without looking for it.
I would also say that all of these pedals sometimes make you feel more insecure while riding unclipped. The platform really isn't much of a platform at all. Its not a very secure grip. Combined with the cleat on the shoe they tend to be slick and don't exactly offer secure footing when unclipped. They are not the best of both worlds many people think. The platform I find is typically more usefull for agressive riding because it helps protect the guts of the pedal. In case you need to quickly unclip in a rough spot they can offer quick footing surface in a pinch while you can get clipped back in. However, you will find yourself wanting to clip back into them as soon as possible because they are simply not very secure otherwise.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
uktrailmonster said:
Too heavy, the CB Mallets are a fair bit lighter and shed mud loads better. They look more stylish too.
Ya, 568g (pair) is pretty hefty. Apparently the newer spd's shed mud quite will though. Mallets would be a better choice, unless you are religious to spd.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
pfunk said:
Check out the atomlab quicksteps. These pedals are really interesting, but pricey (almost $200 :eek: mallets were $69 at super go), but I think they're really on to some thing.

here's a link. http://www.atomlab.com/home.html There is a really cool animation demonstrating the desingn. Roll over the boxes at the bottom right.

edit: oops, link doesn't work directly. Click on products, then pedals - it's called the quickstep.
Oh yeah.. :) they look really good.. I would definitely be interested in trying a set of those new 'quickstep' pedals out.

My main gripe with clip-ins is that they don't provide enough of a platform for when you are not clipped in, and are too much of a compromise with the one-sided clip setup on the dual platform/clip pedals.

I wonder where I can get a set to try.. hmmm.. quickstep.. :)

Thanks for the post..I'll chase these up.. :)

R.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.