Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boy is almost 3.5 y.o. now and is beginning to be a bit tall for his Strider push bike.

He is 41" tall and has a 16.5 inseam. He is rather tall for his age, but I believe he has short-ish legs and a rather long torso.

If I look at the fitting chart from Spawn, it looks like he is just tall enough to fit the Banshee and in the middle of the range for the Furi.

https://spawncycles.com/Size Chart.pdf

Do any of you have advices? How does the Spawn fit chart translates in real life?

My feeling is that the Banshee is likely to be a little bit big at first, but is still probably the best purchase since it will certainly be good for 2 seasons. Since he has a long torso, I am afraid he is likely to feel cramped rapidly on a Fury.

Any thoughts or recommendations? Do any of you had kids about the same height as mine try a Banshee? Thanks! :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
We got the banshee for my son at 4.5, but he's on the small side for his age. He's a tad over 42"...not sure about inseam. His seat post is up a few inches so it would probably be fine. His feet however aren't flat on the ground when he's in the saddle. I set his seat up higher so he would have better pedaling efficiency. At his height i would probably jump straight to the 16" bike.

·
ilmfat
1,316 Posts
I also vote banshee. My 3 yr old can ride her banshee just fine, and she's got a 13.5" inseam. (Changed out seat to a strider seat).

If you want technical/jumping, the kids that shred are on smaller wheels. Slapheadmofo's kid rips it up, and he votes smaller wheels.

But, I don't jump, so I doubt my girls would, even if I got them smaller bikes.

·
Registered
542 Posts
My 3.5 year old girl was JUST big enough for a Gremlin/Furi. That said, her mother is 4'9", and she's 5% for height. She got a Banshee V2 for last Christmas, and is good on it with the seat all the way down right now. With the height of your son, a Banshee should work...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! I appreciate your feedbacks!

I'll get the Banshee. The Strider is still OK to learn pump track techniques anyway, so I guess the worst case scenario is that the Banshee will mainly serve to learn pedalling this year and he'll be ready for the pump track on the Banshee next year.

If he was already a pump track pro, the more nimble Furi would probably be the best choice for him...but it is not the case.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
281 Posts
He is 41" tall and has a 16.5 inseam. He is rather tall for his age, but I believe he has short-ish legs and a rather long torso.

If I look at the fitting chart from Spawn, it looks like he is just tall enough to fit the Banshee and in the middle of the range for the Furi.

https://spawncycles.com/Size Chart.pdf
I think the Banshee was the right choice. Spawn bikes run a bit short in the top tube compared to other youth bikes of the same size so I too would have gone up a size.

Please let me (us) know when the anticipated arrival is and how your boy fits on it. My boys also appear to have short legs and long torsos. When I last did accurate measurements my five year old was 46" tall with an 18 3/4" inseam and my four year old was 42" tall with a 16" inseam. Inseam was measured barefoot with feet less than shoulder width apart.

Back when I took those measurements my four year old could ride his brother's Hotrock 16 with the bars tilted way forward and he was still surprisingly upright. And the Banshee has a effective top tube that is 15 mm shorter than the Hotrock 16.

But his older brother has to be 47" tall and still rides the Hotrock and has a lot of fun. I'm sure your son will get a lot of use out of the 16" Banshee.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.