Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning!

So, I'm never owned a scott... ridden the genius plus in the parking lot is all. I became a plus believe this past summer, I am dealing w/ elbow issues and the big tires at 12fr and 14 rear really eased the elbow pain mid and post ride. I rode an Ibis mojo 3 all summer, and loved it. In fall, I got my wife a cannondale bad habit, and I've been riding that, and it feels more xc then the ibis, and I like it a lot. seems a bit more XC, and more close to my roots.
the weight weenie in me noticed this new spark plus... they claim under 26lbs w/ 2.8's and a dropper?
anyone know if that is true?
I like the geo, like the weight and look, am good w/ single pivots, but have an aversion to twinlock. Everyone liking the twinlock?
Also, anyone know what fork offset scott uses on spark 700 plus. Some are using 29er type offset, 51, some 650b offset, 42-44, wondering what scott did w/ spark plus?

Thx!
Holiday

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm seriously interested in this bike as well. I tried 27.5x2.8 Industry Nine wheels on my fatbike this fall (Borealis Echo) - and I simply loved the wheel size on the hard tail. But the wide pedal stance on the fatbike (Q Factor) has caused knee issues.

So now I'm curious about 27.5+ on a light weight FS bike now. I demoed a Yeti SB5+, and I didn't care for it based on how I ride. But the Spark Plus seems lighter and more nimble. But..that price...

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Twinloc is great and I wouldn't worry about it. I put a regular CTD on my 2012 Spark but still wish I had a remote for the rear, I don't feel the need for the fork though. The 2017 Sparks have higher anti-squat and are very efficient so it seems less needed. However I believe i would find myself in the smaller travel mode a lot as i don't really need a lot of travel.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Screen Shot 2017-01-09 at 2.00.30 PM.png
I have a 2017 Genius LT Plus, changed the tires to 3.0 Nobby Nics, stem and bar to a Renthal 780mm / 70mm, everthing else is stock. Weighs 26.62lbs with TIME carbon pedals and a Zipp carbon cage. IMO this bike would be awful without the Twin Loc, I use it more then a shifter, it does not climb well in the 160mm mode at all, does OK in the 100mm setting but delivers the goods in the locked out setting, DH in the 160mm setting is awesome and reason I got the bike to begin with. Had to move the chip to the high position, was nearly impossible to ride here in the East without smashing the pedals all the time. Would I buy it again? Yep, without the TwinLoc, NO! The TwinLoc is what makes this bike work, I can ride up 3000' climbs then bomb like a DH rig, sold my Bucksaw to get it.
I wish everyone would come and read what GiantTurd wrote here. It's a great truth about how these bikes work. I had a 2016 Genius 710 Plus (no LT) and had the same feelings. TwinLoc is a MUST. Since buying that bike I put one friend on a 710 Plus and another on a 2017 710 LT Plus. They are loving the lockout. I just picked up a 2017 Spark 710 Plus. Hoping the BB isn't too low, changed the cranks to 170mm. I also picked up some 27.5x30mm carbon wheels and I'm going to run 2.6" tires. I wasn't that pumped about the Nobby Nic 2.8's. The new Maxxis plus tires look great. I would have thought those would be dialed for you.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I have a 2017 Genius LT Plus, changed the tires to 3.0 Nobby Nics, stem and bar to a Renthal 780mm / 70mm, everthing else is stock. Weighs 26.62lbs with TIME carbon pedals and a Zipp carbon cage. IMO this bike would be awful without the Twin Loc, I use it more then a shifter, it does not climb well in the 160mm mode at all, does OK in the 100mm setting but delivers the goods in the locked out setting, DH in the 160mm setting is awesome and reason I got the bike to begin with. Had to move the chip to the high position, was nearly impossible to ride here in the East without smashing the pedals all the time. Would I buy it again? Yep, without the TwinLoc, NO! The TwinLoc is what makes this bike work, I can ride up 3000' climbs then bomb like a DH rig, sold my Bucksaw to get it.
How did you weigh your plus LT Genius? You slapped on fatter tires than the stock 2.8 and you weighed it with pedals.

The HMX carbon high end version of this bike is 28lbs without pedals. Swapping out the handlebar and stem isn't going to lighten the bike up by a 1lb and a half.

I own the 2016 Scott Genius 710 (non plus) and have brought the weight down to 26lbs. with tons of upgrades. My bike weighs 25ish lbs. if I take off my DH pedals and swap them for HT pedals. So it's hard to believe you got your LT plus down to 26 ish pounds.

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
At this weight w/ chunky rubber & dialed Geo...

If I win the Lottery, I'm paying my local Scott dealer a visit ^^

Sent from my kltedv using Tapatalk

·
Registered
110 Posts
Currently own a Yeti SB6 but feel it's too much bike for the local trails (though will keep it for bike park days/travel, etc.). Swung by my LBS yesterday and asked about a light/playful trail bike, a la SC 5010 which he sells. He quickly talked about the 700 Plus about being just as playful and poppy as the 5010. Given the plus sized tires, color me skeptical, but I do trust his opinion. He'll be getting them in by March so I hope to demo one on my local trails. Read the specs, I am quite interested though the price point is higher than what I was hoping for...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Got out to ride...

Finally got the bike out two days in a row in western NY. Just rail trails and very limited dry single track that branches off the rail trail. I'm running 30mm carbon rims with Nobby Nic 2.6" tires. So far so good, trying to find suspension and tire pressure settings that work. It's going to need some real trails for that. The front end is quite laid down, probably closer to the 6Fattie I had for a while. Twin-loc is great as always. Looking forward to the Spring but grateful for a chance to get out in January. spark_woods.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts