Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been looking at both. Am a reasonably conservative rider. Dont want to have to upgrade for another 7 years.

Anthem is well spec'ed on components and seems to be an almost comparable ride but well ahead on price and warranty.

Spark 40 was smooth as, I liked it a lot, but a few cheap bits and pieces - not sure of their longevity. How are people finding the Avid Juicy 3.5's bear up, the Rock Shox Ario 2.R and the Rox Shox Recon forks?

What experiences are people having with Scott warranties? On paper they make me a bit nervous as I want to shop around for my servicing and (shock horror) do some myself. I also dont want to be tied into replacing bearings in order to satisfy the warranty if they are not worn out, or is it a given that they will wear out, even if I don't ride that hard?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
In my opinion, both bikes design and functionality are great.

Giant has the better parts as you would expect from all there range compared to all other brands and you pay less for it too in every way.

The BIG question are, does your eyes like the Scott Spark or Giant Anthem?

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
I'd say you're comparing apples to oranges here, these two bikes aren't in the same range :skep: one has full on XT, with SID and the other is SLX and a Recon. IMHO a truer comparison parts wise would be the Spark 40 to the Anthem X2, and still again the X2 still has much better components for about $500-600 more. For some reason when you go from the X2 to the X3 the components drop 2 stages down to Deore so the 40 would win there.

If you're looking for a bike with compnents that'll last you a long time, either one will do, question is which has the better suspension design and would you rather have a cheaper bike or lighter bike - I'm an XT kinda guy myself, but have heard good things about SLX. I think if you can find the X2 for $2800 or under that's a fantastic deal for a full XT, FOX kitted out bike and Giant stands behind there warranty.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Ah, didn't check where you're from. Yes Austrailia seems to get some wierd component swaps/changes by Giant for some reason. I think you'll be happy with the Anthem, the Maestro suspension design is fantastic and I never had any troubles with my Trance frame for the 2.5 years I rode it. The build on that X1 is super solid and lightweight at the same time. Any idea what the complete bike weighs?

Crikey said:
Yes, I just realised X1 has different components in the US. X1 in Aust is XT, SLX, Fox, Elixir CR.

Deal has been done. Anthem won.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.