Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright folks, I have narrowed down my new bike search to the following 2 bikes:

2009 Scott Spark 35
2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp

Both bikes ride beautifully, however I would say that the Spark is a bit quicker. My stophold right now is that the stumpy will be a full $500 bucks less than the Spark. Do you guys think that it is really worth the extra 500 to have the Scott Spark. I am incredibly tempted to go for a Scott since I have been so happy with the Scott CR1 road bike. Anyways, I'd love to hear some feedback that any of you may have on either bike that will help me in deciding which bike to purchase.

Also, my main type of riding for these two bikes is Colorado cross country style both racing and some endurance (>50 mile) rides and races. So plenty of climbing, but I do like to push it on the downhills. The weight difference is 1.4 pounds with the spark being the lighter of the 2 at 26.5 pounds.

Thanks!

·
offroader
2,190 Posts
The Spark is in the same class as the Specialized Epic, also consider the Titus Racer X (XC Race). The Genius would be in the same class as the Stumpjumper and the Titus Motolite (XC/AM).

Depends on what you're looking for in a bike and which one looks the best to you. Everyone has an opinion, who's matters more yours or theirs? I can tell you compared to my Motolite the Spark is slippery fast. I've also owned a Specialized SJ and I would say the ride is close to the Motolite.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
CupOfJava said:
also consider the Titus Racer X (XC Race).

So how does the Racer X ride compared to the Spark? I have been interested in the Racer X and in particular the RX1. The RX1 would also be a full $600 less than the Spark 35 and have similar parts. The biggest problem I will encounter is that none of my local shops actually stock the racer x so I won't be able to test ride it, so your thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks!

·
offroader
2,190 Posts
starSIXEDit said:
CupOfJava said:
also consider the Titus Racer X (XC Race).

So how does the Racer X ride compared to the Spark? I have been interested in the Racer X and in particular the RX1. The RX1 would also be a full $600 less than the Spark 35 and have similar parts. The biggest problem I will encounter is that none of my local shops actually stock the racer x so I won't be able to test ride it, so your thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks!
I have never ridden a Racer-X but I hear it's in the same category as the Spark and Epic in terms of it's race inspired geometry. You could try a search on MTBR to find out more.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I've got a Spark and a Racer-x, out of the two the Titus is the better bike with regards to quality of the rear suspension. I've said several times that I believe it is mostly the difference between the two rear shocks, but haven't tried the RP23 on my Spark yet.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
The RX1 would also be a full $600 less than the Spark 35 and have similar parts. The biggest problem I will encounter is that none of my local shops actually stock the racer x so I won't be able to test ride it, so your thoughts are appreciated.
Actually, Big Ring In Golden down the road from you does. bigringcycles.com
Also, they stock Scott Spark and also Ibis Mojo so you can do some really good compairson shopping.
Talk to Scott there the owner, he is a good guy. Some of the rest in the shop tend to be a bit snobby.
I bought my Mojo from them. Btw, isince you are 5'11" it would be of interest that the Spark fits a 650b rear wheel real easily. http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=413380&highlight=scott+spark+650b(they have some Spark's on winter closeout as usual, but if I were to buy a new Spark I would go REI because of satisfaction guarantee is usually beyond reproach.)
If I were racing more I would pick up a Spark, and am still looking for a good used Spark frame in medium so I can build up another 650b. But for all around kick butt, tough rocky front range endurance riding, I would go with something with a bit more travel.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went with the 2009 Scott Spark 35. Took it out on the first ride yesterday and it rode awesome. I still need to mess with stem length and get some Stan's tubeless sealant installed, but other than that this bike climbs and descends great. The suspension feels endless both front and rear and the acceleration is awesome even when the rear shock is not in full lock out mode. Happy so far!

Thanks,
Ryan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.