Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I ride a Scott Spark 10 (2008). During one of my last rides, I hit a rock with the rear derailleur. This caused the derailleur hanger to break allong with the chainstay (in the area where the derrailleur hanger mounting bolts go through the carbon tip of the chainstay).

I assumed that this problem was due to bad design, because the dropout should be there to protect the frame from breaking and not for causing it to break when subject to stress and sent the bike to Scott Portugal for warranty... The answer was that this kind of problem is not covered by warranty because something hit the derailleur...

Did anyone have a similar problem? Was it handled through warranty?

Thanks All,

-Rui

·
Registered
375 Posts
I heard of two drop outs ruined from Sram XO rear derailleurs breaking. They were not replaced under warranty eighter as it was not a defective frame that was the problem.

What is the replacement cost of the rear chainstays?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The price for replacing the chainstay is 250€ with a huge discount from the shop, I think the RRP is around 330€ ... As far as I see this only a defective frame should break when the dropout breaks, Scott does not seam to share my opinion, but I still could not get a clear explanation from them.

·
Registered
375 Posts
It may only be a small consolation, but at least it wasn't a carbon hardtail, or the entire frame would be ruined, and you would be out several thousand dollars. Sorry about the bad luck.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sorry to hear about your bad fortune. Feel lucky that you didn't have the carbon version. Maybe, however, because carbon is much stronger, it may have only broken the drop out:thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts