Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, just getting back into riding after many years off, and a previous life of road. Got a Giant Anthem Advance 1 27.5 on the way.

I want to get a second set of wheels, I was thinking of these:
Shimano XT M785 MTB Disc Wheelset | Chain Reaction Cycles

The guy in the bike store showed me some 'weird' setup for the rear quick release on the Anthem Advance, can anyone tell me if the above are compatible with the Advance? And if they are, then is this sprocket compatible with those wheels:
Shimano XT M771 10 Speed MTB Cassette | Chain Reaction Cycles

I want 2 sets of wheels, 1 for road and one for off road. Comparing the ones that come on the Anthem, and the above Shimano, which set would be best for which purpose?

thanks
greg

·
Registered
467 Posts
I have an AA1 and if it was me I would buy another set of the stock wheels. They are lighter than the set you posted up, rim is made by DT Swiss, hub shell is by Giant but the internals are DT Swiss and bullet proof. They are also lighter (1655g) versus the 1810g for the Shimano wheels.

Plus the wheels would be setup correctly for the axles the AA1 uses (15mm front, 12x142mm rear) out of the box. They also come with the 36T star ratchet as well for faster hub engagement. The Giant wheels could be had for around the same money as the Shimano wheels as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have an AA1 and if it was me I would buy another set of the stock wheels. They are lighter than the set you posted up, rim is made by DT Swiss, hub shell is by Giant but the internals are DT Swiss and bullet proof. They are also lighter (1655g) versus the 1810g for the Shimano wheels.

Plus the wheels would be setup correctly for the axles the AA1 uses (15mm front, 12x135mm rear) out of the box. They also come with the 36T star ratchet as well for faster hub engagement. The Giant wheels could be had for around the same money as the Shimano wheels as well.
Thanks for the insight. I heard today that the new Giant Pro series will be released and in shops in AUstralia in 5-7 weeks. Might put this idea on hold until then.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.