Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a new medium sized 2010 SJ FSR Comp and am looking to carry it on a spare tire mounted bike rack. I see that most of these carriers rely on clamping the top tube. Given that my top tube has the shock mount directly underneath it and that the portion forward of the mount is rather short, is this something that I should reconsider? I've only had the opportunity to look at the Swagman model. I'll try to check out the other offerings from Yakima. I'm just concerned about the clamping force on the aluminum top tube of my FSR and also if this is a wise way to transport my new bike?

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
What kind of vehicle? I have the hitch mounted Holdup and it's a great rack. It mounts the bike by the tires. Probably more expensive than a tire rack, but a good alternative if you can swing it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jeep Rubicon. I'm liking the idea of mounting it on my spare using the existing spare tire bosses (If I'm seeing it correctly). That little top tube adapter the seven1seven posted is interesting but not too crazy about having to spend more to do this unless of course this is the only practical solution.

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
I have a Jeep Rubicon, too. I don't want to hang my bikes by the spare tire... seems pretty flimsy to me. I don't have any pics, but I'll take some tomorrow if you're interested in the setup.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
skiahh said:
I have a Jeep Rubicon, too. I don't want to hang my bikes by the spare tire... seems pretty flimsy to me. I don't have any pics, but I'll take some tomorrow if you're interested in the setup.
Skiahh, that would be much appreciated! Thanks! I was looking at two attachment systems for this type of carry and one "wraps" straps around the spare tire however the other one bolts into the spare tire mounts on the gate (more desirable in my opinion).

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
brmp - sorry for the delay; it's been a busy couple of weeks. Here's how I have my Rubicon set up. I also have an FSR, but the bike in the pictures is obviously not the SJ - it's my 29er.

I did need to purchase a 7" extension to clear the tire. The rack itself has a bolt that holds it tight in the receiver. The extension had play, like all receivers, so I bought this https://www.drawtite.com/63201.html to lock the extension into place. I had to drill a hole in the receiver on the Jeep to install it, but it wasn't any big deal.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey thanks a lot for posting those Skiahh. I see that you use a "hitch" (think that's the term). I wanted to avoid going the route of using a hitch and extender. I went with the Thule Spare Me. Just mounted it last night and will give it a whirl this coming week. Again, thanks for taking the time to post those pics. They were very helpful.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts