Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Coors, the american beer.
3,533 Posts
monday was supposed to be a spare the air day too but the beezies at the baylink ferry (vallejo to sf) wont hop on the free rides bandwagon .... so when i went to the giants game i still hadda pay the $17 .... i aint too mad though cause $17 is way less than driving to sf, paying toll, parking, traffic etc

·
3.14159265358979323846…
2,847 Posts
Melt said:
monday was supposed to be a spare the air day too but the beezies at the baylink ferry (vallejo to sf) wont hop on the free rides bandwagon .... so when i went to the giants game i still hadda pay the $17 .... i aint too mad though cause $17 is way less than driving to sf, paying toll, parking, traffic etc
I'd love to slap the sh!t outta the Baylink B.O.D....
Freakin' pirates!

·
(slight return)
2,139 Posts
http://www.sparetheair.org/

Kinda funny. On that website they say they expect air quality to be unhealthy, so they want to encourage people to bike.

Free transit has it's drawbacks - on Monday the ferries were selling out from people taking scenic rides in the bay, shutting out the regular commuters. I made the 7:20 by the skin of my teeth and I was 5 minutes earlier than usual.

·
OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
5,928 Posts
I don't get this anyhow...

baycat said:
Spare the Air Day tomorrow the 20th

http://www.sparetheair.org/

leave the Muni, BART, etc. passes at home!
If you actually honestly Believe greenhouse gases cause global warming then every day should be a "Spare the Air Day" whether you have to pay or not. All that happens with this program is the people who regularly commute via public transportation get screwed. BART is overcrowded to make room for people who want a free ride and hypocytical "Environmentally Conscious People" who want to feel good about saving the environment without any actual cost to themselves.

Hmmm... something is wrong with this picture :(

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
The point is....

0gre said:
If you actually honestly Believe greenhouse gases cause global warming then every day should be a "Spare the Air Day" whether you have to pay or not. All that happens with this program is the people who regularly commute via public transportation get screwed. BART is overcrowded to make room for people who want a free ride and hypocytical "Environmentally Conscious People" who want to feel good about saving the environment without any actual cost to themselves.

Hmmm... something is wrong with this picture :(
That it gets people out of thier cars and on to public transit, which a bus full of people or an electric train of people creates (including diesel particulate emissions) a lot less pollution than 30 or 40 cars on the road, and it really does work. It isn't the greenhouse gasses (CO2, CO) that are the immediate problem on a STAD, its the Ozone, NOx, HC and particulate pollution that are the problem, which is what comes out of tailpipes. Okay, Ozone isn't what comes out of a tailpipe, but it is what happens when you beat on tailpipe emissions with a lot of sunlight and heat.

I rode BART today (free!) and it was not crowded at all, and the trains going the other way (the commute direction) weren't overcrowded either. There were more folks on the trains, but they were not over crowded. Its much worse when there is a Giants or A's game.

I don't know if you realize this, but if we took busses and BART out of the picture, the bridges would become parking lots and our air would be a lot dirtier. Remember the BART strike? I do. I think encouraging people to take public transit is a good thing.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
It's crappy everywhere...

stripes said:
I completely agree. It's a shame we have really crappy public transit in South Bay.
... unless you happen to live near a transit point. I happen to live 4 miles from McArthur BART, and my office is 6 miles from Concord BART. I can make a gentile spin out of commuting to work, and make the ride home as long as 30 miles or so. The whole thing takes me 1:15 each way, with about 15-20 minutes of that on BART.

Too bad I'm just too fat and lazy to actually do it without BART, but I'm working up to it.

Somehow I thought you folks down there at least had a good bus system... and the light rail, but I understand the light rail doesn't go a whole lot of anywhere.

·
OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
5,928 Posts
Sure...

pimpbot said:
That it gets people out of thier cars and on to public transit, which a bus full of people or an electric train of people creates (including diesel particulate emissions) a lot less pollution than 30 or 40 cars on the road, and it really does work. It isn't the greenhouse gasses (CO2, CO) that are the immediate problem on a STAD, its the Ozone, NOx, HC and particulate pollution that are the problem, which is what comes out of tailpipes. Okay, Ozone isn't what comes out of a tailpipe, but it is what happens when you beat on tailpipe emissions with a lot of sunlight and heat.
I'm not saying it doesn't work, It does. I live in the valley where the wind pushes all your crappy bay area smog. What I'm saying is that doing this six days a year makes no difference, people who recognize that it's a problem and only use BART when it's free are hypocryts. If these same concerned citizens did this every day or even twice a week it would make a huge difference. But as it is all they are doing is deluding themselves into thinking they are helping. At least the people who ride BART just because it's free are being honest with themselves.

I think you ride BART on a semi-regular basis and that is cool. I'm not making a political statement... just commenting on hypocracy.

I don't know if you realize this, but if we took busses and BART out of the picture, the bridges would become parking lots and our air would be a lot dirtier. Remember the BART strike? I do. I think encouraging people to take public transit is a good thing.
Well I don't remember the BART strike, BART doesn't come here. But personally I laugh at traffic as I roll by it on my bike :) One of my big gripes about the Bay area is the fact that the way it's put together it's almost impossible for most people to live reasonably close to where they work. If everyone lived near their jobs then BART would only be used for tourism.

·
(slight return)
2,139 Posts
0gre said:
I'm not saying it doesn't work, It does. I live in the valley where the wind pushes all your crappy bay area smog. What I'm saying is that doing this six days a year makes no difference, people who recognize that it's a problem and only use BART when it's free are hypocryts. If these same concerned citizens did this every day or even twice a week it would make a huge difference. But as it is all they are doing is deluding themselves into thinking they are helping. At least the people who ride BART just because it's free are being honest with themselves.

I think you ride BART on a semi-regular basis and that is cool. I'm not making a political statement... just commenting on hypocracy.

Well I don't remember the BART strike, BART doesn't come here. But personally I laugh at traffic as I roll by it on my bike :) One of my big gripes about the Bay area is the fact that the way it's put together it's almost impossible for most people to live reasonably close to where they work. If everyone lived near their jobs then BART would only be used for tourism.
There actually were a lot more commuters on the ferry on Tues and Weds, so most likely a lot of people who rode the ferry for the first time because it was free realized it's not so bad and continued taking it.

I'm all for free transit if it encourages more people to ride regularly. Spare the Air days suck for people on the Larkspur and Sausalito ferries though since they fill up with non-commuters who want to get a look at the bridge. Most of the regular ferry commuters who end up missing their regular boat and waiting around for an hour for the next one would probably rather just pay.

-slide

·
Registered
11,764 Posts
It has to do with air comformity and fed funds

being used for transportation projects in the BA. Without such things as spare the air days the BA will be out of conformity. To be out of conformity means that all current projects with fed $$s are stopped dead in their tracks and future projects are put on hold.

i really cant entertain aconcept that disregards climatic change due to the impacts of man and beleives that climate changes man instead of man changing the climate. It has nothing to do with individual gases or particles because the change takes place cumulatively and over vast regioanls and continents.

Were only here for the span of our lives whereas the planet has been here for frar longer. Just because you or i dont realize or sense climatic change doenst mean it doesnt happen...

·
OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
5,928 Posts
Ahh but...

jrm said:
i really cant entertain aconcept that disregards climatic change due to the impacts of man and beleives that climate changes man instead of man changing the climate. It has nothing to do with individual gases or particles because the change takes place cumulatively and over vast regioanls and continents.

Were only here for the span of our lives whereas the planet has been here for frar longer. Just because you or i dont realize or sense climatic change doenst mean it doesnt happen...
I didn't intend to question the whole greenhouse gas global warming theory (though personally I'm not convinced that humanity is the primary cause of climate change right now), I just think there are millions of people in this fine state that are hypocytical about it. They talk about Global warming and have a "Think Green" bumper sticker on their SUV that they drive 50+ miles to and from work every day. Personally I think they should change the bumper stickers to say ACT Green.

·
Registered
11,764 Posts
Or be green..

0gre said:
I didn't intend to question the whole greenhouse gas global warming theory (though personally I'm not convinced that humanity is the primary cause of climate change right now), I just think there are millions of people in this fine state that are hypocytical about it. They talk about Global warming and have a "Think Green" bumper sticker on their SUV that they drive 50+ miles to and from work every day. Personally I think they should change the bumper stickers to say ACT Green.
maybe we could take there SUVs in the middle ofthe night and replace um with bikes...

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
I almost never see...

0gre said:
... SUVs with greenie bumper stickers. Have you ever seen one? Because honestly I have never seen one.
I generally think most SUV owners fall in the 'Nope, it isn't really happening dispite the hundreds of peer-reviewed studies that all come to the same conclusion' crowd, or they fall into the crowd that actually needs SUVs and accept their impact on the world, or use them for hauling many bikers to a ride, therefore save gas.

I occasionally see old VW Busses with greenie stickers, which is serious hypocracy. Those old air cooled engines pollute like mad... as in.. equal to 500 GMV 5.2 liter V8s in HC, CO and NOx emissions. Of course, CO2 is more because no matter what you burn, the primary products are H2O and CO2... but I digress. Anyway, it looks like VW Busses are disappearing.

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,859 Posts
0gre said:
I live in the valley where the wind pushes all your crappy bay area smog.
You think we get the Bay Area smog? Been to Visalia lately? That's where it goes. We were there on the 4th, and as we approached on 99, it looked as though the fields were on fire. When I asked my bro-in-law about it, he said it was the air from the BA.

Awful. :madmax: <--------- oops, is that polluting?

fp

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.