Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wondering which is the better rim? I have spank 350's (non-vibrocore) on order but am thinking about going with ex511's instead. I see ex511 mentioned often as a solid rim. Are the Spank's comparable in durability? These will be on an ebike so will have some weight on them.. only really went w spanks Bc they were cheaper. Worth the extra cost?

· Registered
3,171 Posts
Don't think you can do better than dt when talking about metal rims. You have a motor, go heavier than 511. They are great rims but are made to be a compromise between a light trail rim and a heavy hitter. With a motor I would be running the step up from the 511 which is the FR line. Why wouldn't you? You think the motor is going to feel that extra 100g of metal? 100g makes a big different in durability, but means nothing to a motor. Our legs will feel that 100g penalty but you're not riding a mountain bike so don't sweet it.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't think you can do better than dt when talking about metal rims. You have a motor, go heavier than 511. They are great rims but are made to be a compromise between a light trail rim and a heavy hitter. With a motor I would be running the step up from the 511 which is the FR line. Why wouldn't you? You think the motor is going to feel that extra 100g of metal? 100g makes a big different in durability, but means nothing to a motor. Our legs will feel that 100g penalty but you're not riding a mountain bike so don't sweet it.
So the FR 560? Ya you make a good point maybe I'll try those. Thanks for the suggestion!

· This place needs an enema
17,703 Posts
I build with both, but I prefer the DT's if only because tubeless tape sticks so much better to them.

Spank did something weird with the peening and anodizing of those rims -- tapes just don't like to stick to that surface. And it's complicated by the shape. Super, super frustrating.

· Registered
6,126 Posts
Spank rims on DT Swiss 350 hubs...

Above is my go to on 2 of my mules.

(other 2 have carbon rims on DT Swiss hubs and DT Swiss Ex 1501's)

Sent from my Asus Rog 3

· Boom bap ambassador
1,003 Posts
I have used Oozy 295 and DT 471 rims (2 sets of each IIRC) and Spank is good but DT is better (and like Wutang for the children).

The Spank weren't garbage by any stretch of the imagination but the DT were arrow straight out of the box, built up nicely, taped up easily, and were durable and reliable.

If you went for the Spank rims you won't be sorry as they are quite good but DT is a cut above in my experience.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.