Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just put together Chuky's new AM ride... it's a small Orbea Rallon EVO. Rear travel is adjustable 110-140mm, and there is also a cam in the swingarm / swing link mount that can adjust seat/head angle from "FR to XC" whatever that means. I couldn't find any data, but I assume it probably changes the angles by a degree. I think the FR head angle is 68.5, so maybe the XC puts it at 69.5?

Didn't have a top-swing front derailleur so that's on the way... going to need two chainrings for sure. Weight is pretty good, my highly trained and calibrated arms put it at about 33lbs with the boat anchor wheels and pedals... probably 34 once I add the front shifter and derailleur.

Probably will be in St George at the end of the month for some ride impressions!

JMH

Attachments

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess you could say it's my job!

Thanks, man. How's riding?

JMH

RustyBearings said:
dude you always come up with the sweetest bikes.
the yellow rims are sweet. as is the pike.

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay... That's more like it.

So I got the front deregulator on there... she's a fine rig. Also the mandatory minimium of stickerness and Chuky's favorite old Fizik Aliante.

Test flight to the coffee shop checked out. It's good in snow, and off curbs.

JMH

Attachments

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
Nice bike! Cool to see the other end of the Orbea spectrum (usually what yo see are road bikes or XC bikes, not all mountain frames).

·
you go ahead
709 Posts
JMH said:
I guess you could say it's my job!

Thanks, man. How's riding?

JMH
Riding is good.
Keeping an eye out for an affordable frame/fork upgrade though since Ive completely grown out of that old trek 3700. Too bad bikes cost money.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
JMH said:
Just put together Chuky's new AM ride... it's a small Orbea Rallon EVO. Rear travel is adjustable 110-140mm, and there is also a cam in the swingarm / swing link mount that can adjust seat/head angle from "FR to XC" whatever that means. I couldn't find any data, but I assume it probably changes the angles by a degree. I think the FR head angle is 68.5, so maybe the XC puts it at 69.5?

Didn't have a top-swing front derailleur so that's on the way... going to need two chainrings for sure. Weight is pretty good, my highly trained and calibrated arms put it at about 33lbs with the boat anchor wheels and pedals... probably 34 once I add the front shifter and derailleur.

Probably will be in St George at the end of the month for some ride impressions!

JMH
Neat bike ... although estetically it is a bit questionable with the thin front triangle and that massive swingarm :eekster:

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
That is a v. cool looking bike- much like the 5.5
The adj travel does scare me, but my only experience is with the Marin lineup, since my V has adjustable rockers, not cam/qr functions.

Interesting cable routing to boot - floating in the middle?!

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the comments! It's an unusual bike for the US, and I am stoked to have her spend some time on it. Heading to Gooseberry/Virgin the first weekend in February.

Davide said:
aesthetically it is a bit questionable with the thin front triangle and that massive swingarm :eekster:
Roger that, the swingarm is "robust" and looks a bit off compared to the round front tubes. But the frame and shock (with internal headset) was just about 6.5lbs, so even if it looks chunky, it's not too bad weight-wise. If I recall, Chuky's superlight was something like 5.5lbs with shock, so she gains a pound and 40mm of travel, plus adjustability and better torsional stiffness.

The swing link bracket is a very low-stress area, so it doesn't need much beef to do the job. Think of how skinny the similar swing link is on a Yeti 575... We will find out if it works well, but it seems pretty straightforward. It also came with a quick release pivot for quickly changing travel, but I figured it wasn't necessary to "quickly" change travel on a regular basis, also it stuck out too far and looked a little manky, so I replaced it with a regular pivot.

Cable routing was my own creation... the rear derailleur housing is supposed to run internally through the swingarm. Great with Shimano, but the angle of the cable housing was too wierd IMO for SRAM. Also, the brake line was supposed to run under the opposite arm. Again, the bend was too extreme for cable-actuated disks. So I ran both in a nice gentle curve between the two tubes in the arm and secured with electrical tape. Turned out clean, except for not using the lower cable mounts.

Thanks again for the comments.

JMH

·
Stray Bullet
2,273 Posts
What size chain rings are those? Trying to estimate the pivot placement.

Will Orbea be marketing this frame or it bigger brother here in the US?

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good Question

N-

It's a 32/22t combo...

JMH

Nagaredama said:
What size chain rings are those? Trying to estimate the pivot placement.

Will Orbea be marketing this frame or it bigger brother here in the US?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts