Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,924 Posts
Hell unreasonable... they're not THAT good.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I liked the eBay item 180005625048 BIN price better...

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Didn't mean to be unreasonable...

Since these don't sell that often, I didn't have a good idea about the price. As far as pricing goes, I went from the last E-Bay price I saw for NIB shifters- ~$125. Seemed high to me, but that is where I figured I would start. Seeing the new shifters for $65 changes that.

Someone can always make an offer... :D

Steve, who is unknowingly asking stratospheric prices

·
Registered
554 Posts
filegiant said:
I liked the eBay item 180005625048 BIN price better...
BIN prices tend not to be the best price gauges unless they stay around for a bit. I'm not sure how fast that one ended, but if it was bought within first 10 minutes, the seller undervalued it. Bummer ebay makes it harder to determine how long items stay active.

·
Registered
184 Posts
holden said:
BIN prices tend not to be the best price gauges unless they stay around for a bit. I'm not sure how fast that one ended, but if it was bought within first 10 minutes, the seller undervalued it. Bummer ebay makes it harder to determine how long items stay active.
I still like that price better;)

I also did a search for "XT ThumbShifter", XT Thumbshifter", "XT Thumbies" and a few more combos, but all that is currently in the completed database are nearly-new XT shifters going for around $40.

I think one point is most of the VRC members here watch eBay like a hawk and have a very good idea of what a relatively-common vintage part, such as XT 7-speed shifters, are worth on the market. That's why there was an immediate reaction by several guys.

To his defense, he has every right to ask whatever he'd like for the shifters. I've found if you really want to know what something is "worth", put your part on eBay starting at $1--in a week you'll have your answer.

·
Registered
184 Posts
bushpig said:
Big difference in price between NIB and nearly new though. There are people that will pay a hefty premium to open the package themselves. That said, NOS/NIB Thumbies are around 80-100 on Ebay and come up with considerable frequency.
Yep, I'm aware there's a difference, but NOS prices are generally not 3 times-plus that of "nearly-new" unless it's something very rare.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
filegiant said:
I still like that price better;)

I also did a search for "XT ThumbShifter", XT Thumbshifter", "XT Thumbies" and a few more combos, but all that is currently in the completed database are nearly-new XT shifters going for around $40.

I think one point is most of the VRC members here watch eBay like a hawk and have a very good idea of what a relatively-common vintage part, such as XT 7-speed shifters, are worth on the market. That's why there was an immediate reaction by several guys.

To his defense, he has every right to ask whatever he'd like for the shifters. I've found if you really want to know what something is "worth", put your part on eBay starting at $1--in a week you'll have your answer.
From my brief time on E-Bay, I thought that I was asking a high end-but-reasonable price for NIB thumbshifters, but it appears that the one data point ($122) that I saw in brief search was probably a result of a bidding war. I'll let them sit around on MTBR for awhile, probably at a lower price, and then they will go to the hounds at E-Bay.

Really, no offense taken from any posts. People here have a much finer sense for vintage parts pricing than I do.

Steve

1 - 11 of 11 Posts