Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I built a steel 29er for a fellow named Brad, and managed, through some kind of total mental breakdown, to tap the bottom bracket backwards (yes, that's right, driveside in the wrong side). Not such a hot move on my part. Today I started building a replacement for him, and got to the point of welding up the front triangle when he told me that he'd changed his mind and wanted an EBB singlespeed frame. Since it's my error, I'm building one for him at no additional charge, but now I have a front triangle sitting all lonely, waiting for someone to decide how to finish the build. I'm selling this frame, which is still VERY customizable, for the low, low price of $400 (built to your specs, powdercoated your color of choice and shipped to your door, provided you live in the continental US).

Specs:
Head tube: 4.25" OX Platinum 36mm (for 1 1/8 steerers) at 72 degrees (
Seat tube: 19" C-C Verus HT 28.6mm (27.2 seatpost) at 73 degrees
Top tube: 24" effective toptube, OX Platinum 28.6mm tubing
Down tube: 31.8mm Verus HT
Bottom Bracket: Paragon Machine works internally relieved.

The frame is designed for an 80mm suspension fork and 55mm of bottom bracket drop. I can add bb drop and slack out the head and seat tubes if that's your cup of tea. It weighs 1050 grams as-is (figure about 1800-1900 or 4 pounds complete, depending on disc mounts, etc). Want horizontal dropouts? Disc tab? Canti bosses? Rack mounts? Steering damper mount? Anything you want can be installed, and the frame will be ready to go.

If the post offends, I'll be happy to pay for a classified. I thought folks here might be interested - maybe there's a lurker who wants to try a 29er for cheap.

-Walt

·
minister of chaos
312 Posts
If only I had that much money laying around. So, might I ask what you did with the complete frame that you tapped backwards?

Frank

Walt said:
I built a steel 29er for a fellow named Brad, and managed, through some kind of total mental breakdown, to tap the bottom bracket backwards (yes, that's right, driveside in the wrong side). Not such a hot move on my part. Today I started building a replacement for him, and got to the point of welding up the front triangle when he told me that he'd changed his mind and wanted an EBB singlespeed frame. Since it's my error, I'm building one for him at no additional charge, but now I have a front triangle sitting all lonely, waiting for someone to decide how to finish the build. I'm selling this frame, which is still VERY customizable, for the low, low price of $400 (built to your specs, powdercoated your color of choice and shipped to your door, provided you live in the continental US).

Specs:
Head tube: 4.25" OX Platinum 36mm (for 1 1/8 steerers) at 72 degrees (
Seat tube: 19" C-C Verus HT 28.6mm (27.2 seatpost) at 73 degrees
Top tube: 24" effective toptube, OX Platinum 28.6mm tubing
Down tube: 31.8mm Verus HT
Bottom Bracket: Paragon Machine works internally relieved.

The frame is designed for an 80mm suspension fork and 55mm of bottom bracket drop. I can add bb drop and slack out the head and seat tubes if that's your cup of tea. It weighs 1050 grams as-is (figure about 1800-1900 or 4 pounds complete, depending on disc mounts, etc). Want horizontal dropouts? Disc tab? Canti bosses? Rack mounts? Steering damper mount? Anything you want can be installed, and the frame will be ready to go.

If the post offends, I'll be happy to pay for a classified. I thought folks here might be interested - maybe there's a lurker who wants to try a 29er for cheap.

-Walt

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure yet...

Since I have all the equipment, I have 2 options:
- Install the BB "reversed" with the driveside on the left and tack the left (formerly driveside) cup to the BB shell to keep it from coming loose, then ride the frame myself or give it away to a friend.
- Take the torch and flow some brass into the threads, then re-tap on the correct side. Once again, ride myself or give to a friend.

Both are actually mechanically fine solutions, but I'm not in the business of selling stuff that isn't quite right, or at least I don't really want to be. But what the heck...

If anyone wants THAT frame (same geometry, it's got canti bosses and a disc mount, with Breezer dropouts for running gears) I'd be happy to sell it for $200 or something. From what I hear, it's got a snazzy paint job, to boot. The customer hasn't shipped it back yet, though.

-Walt

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
Walt, IMO your post doesn't offend, but does fall under the MTBR posting rules. Donate a couple of bucks, they provided you with the best possible webplace to promote your offering , and an interested customer in 3 hours only. Only seems fair to pay for the webspac, I'd say.

·
minister of chaos
312 Posts
Walt said:
If anyone wants THAT frame (same geometry, it's got canti bosses and a disc mount, with Breezer dropouts for running gears) I'd be happy to sell it for $200 or something. From what I hear, it's got a snazzy paint job, to boot. The customer hasn't shipped it back yet, though.

-Walt
If the geometry is the same, I'll take it. What I actually thought is drill and tap two holes into the bottom of the bb shell and use a couple of set screws to keep it in place.

Frank
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, same geometry

72/73, 24" eff. TT, 55mm BB drop, 445mm chainstays. Send me an email (and Cloxxi, I'm in the process of paying for an ad, my apologies).

-Walt

5{ Tuesday]If the geometry is the same, I'll take it. What I actually thought is drill and tap two holes into the bottom of the bb shell and use a couple of set screws to keep it in place.

Frank
[email protected][/QUOTE]

·
try driving your car less
3,097 Posts
Frank Tuesday said:
If the geometry is the same, I'll take it. What I actually thought is drill and tap two holes into the bottom of the bb shell and use a couple of set screws to keep it in place.

Frank
[email protected]
try red loctite on the threads? works for fixed gear cogs.

·
uh, uh...oh, i forget
1,039 Posts
what's with the choice of colors?!!

"powdercoated your color of choice"

It's a good thing i like DOT green, although the other day i leaned my bike up against this and almost couldn't find it! :D

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts