Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a SP Hub with the K-Lite setup, and everything seems to work fine if I'm direct charging my devices from the USB connectors on the K-Lite, but if I try and run through a cache battery, the cache battery never charges, and I've actually had 2 batteries fail to charge after they were drained all the way.

On my most recent trips (CFiTT and the Huracan), I simply used the dynamo for the light at night, and had it direct charging my cell phone during the day. I kept the full cache battery to recharge stuff at night over the 4 day adventures.

I've got a new battery (going with Jackery this time), and I want to give the cache setup another shot. I have replaced my sinewave revolution with the new dual USB K-Lite adapter.

Anyone have any suggestions at what might be causing my battery drain and failure?

20190713_162712.jpg

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
What brand of cache battery were you using before? Not all of them can charge and discharge simultaneously. Jackery is one brand that does do this. Another possibility is you're not riding fast enough for the hub to deliver sufficient current to charge the battery noticeably. Seems you have to ride above 7-8mph or so to charge one. When you charge devices from it, it would then discharge much faster than it charges. Not sure why that would kill the battery, but batteries do strange things sometimes. I've also been told direct charging of cell phones from a hub isn't wise given the fluctuating current. Not sure if this is true or not.

I've used a jackery for my last few trips as a cache battery charging off the hub. Most trips are too short to get much of a read on it. But on the AZTR I could definitely tell it wasn't charging much from the hub, even on days that had long road sections. I'd just plug it in and charge it while stopped for dinner or anywhere else when I got the chance. Having the dynamo light is the main benefit of the hub for me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks evdog - I know one of the previous batteries was miraku - likely some Amazon generic, but supposedly capable of the caching thing.

I got a 12k mah Jackery, so that can get me through a couple days without reloading if I keep the phone on airplane mode for most of the trip. I'm not the fastest so the fluctuation might be my culprit. I'll stick with using the hub for primarily my light source, and emergency charging when needed, and use the battery for overnight recharging until I can do some more testing, without "bricking" another battery.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I've used two different batteries. I haven't killed them, but one definitely handles variable charging better than the other. My HooToo (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RVIGY1I/) is pretty finicky about charging. Can't really get it to charge from solar, and I seem to remember it wasn't always reliable when charging from the dynamo hub, back when I could do that. Other battery is my EasyACC battery (https://www.amazon.com/EasyAcc-Portable-Charger-Recharge-External/dp/B078S6LH8L/). You can't charge and discharge it at the same time, but it's pretty good about charging from inconsistent sources.
I haven't ever gotten a battery messed up to the point where plugging it into a regular power source won't charge it, but the HooToo does get "confused" after attempting to charge it other ways. It might show that it's charging, and display lights indicating that it has a full charge, but it actually has very little charge and will only provide power for a couple of minutes. But plugging it in long enough to fully charge it sets it right.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Rob_E....guess its possible I didn't leave my other batteries plugged in to the wall long enough. Never the less, doesn't sound like I have anything messed up with my setup, just a victim of the circumstances of running a dynamo.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts