Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
ride your bike
9,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Selling the bottlerocket frame and transferring parts. 36 talas and burly azonic wheelset.

Which frame? Likely a 1x9 build. I'd ike it to climb reasonably well, bomb DH, maneuver the tech, and handle some abuse.

Thanks for any opinions/info!

:thumbsup:

·
ride your bike
9,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
63 Posts
I just finished an Evil Sovereign and really enjoy the bike, I'm using it as a trail bike for everyday single track riding. The bike handles everything really well and is fast.

I was looking at both the TransAm and the Evil as well. I decided on the Evil although it cost more the fit and finish is a better than the TransAm. My main reason for getting the Evil was the longer TT and ST as well the sliding dropouts. Oh yeah and the company name is Evil and the logo has a skull in it.

I'll try and post a pic from when I was building it.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Decisions...

The Trans AM and Soverign are on my short list too. Leaning toward the Soverign due to higher bb height, 31.6 seatpost diameter ,standard head tube/headset and sliding dropouts. Plan to build as a single speed but may option to 1x9. Should be fun add a hardtail back into the mix after 10+ years on fully's.

Longcast: (Nice ride) Please post up your build and final weight of your Evil! :thumbsup: Any ride opinions would be great too.

·
ride your bike
9,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info guys! I am *this close* to pulling the trigger on a sovereign frame. The sliding drops seem worth the extra cost to me...I remember them being super convenient on a Kona SS I had in the past.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I was doing the same thing: trying to figure out what I wanted between the TransAM (I've seen 2 inperson), the Sovereign (Like it the most), & 456 Inbred. I pulled the trigger on the Inbred due to price & it being most suited for my local trails plus if I decide I 'need' FS, then I most certainly would have already gotten way more than $255 out of the Inbred I'd store in the attic.

Any of the 3 would be KILLER rides. The TransAM looks great in person & I just saw a Preston FR today that was nice. You don't see anything other than XC Speesh, Cannondales, & some 29ers around my trails so seeing 'rides made by riders' is a awesome! Esp. with more travel than 4".

·
Registered
244 Posts
scrublover said:
Soooo...

you're suggesting a bike with geometry and purpose entirely different than the two frames he is asking about?

Awesome display of 29er zealotry there.
You're right. Sorry about that. I guess I was just looking for a reason to show off my bike.

I do want to say that this is a great hardtail all mountain bike. I am pretty sure it is mostly because of the feel of the steel frame, but it also has some to do with the 29 inch wheels. Also with the 120mm 20mm thru axle reba the front end feels very all mountain'ish and gives the bike a 69.5 degree head angle, which is slack for a 29er. It feels almost identical to how my 26er felt with a Pike.

I am not a total 29er convert, I still think 26 inch bikes are far superior when it comes to full suspension, but I recommend anyone wanting a all mountain hardtail to demo a 29er.

·
ride your bike
9,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks again for the info and advice guys. Yesterday I pulled the trigger on a med black sovereign. Gabe and Kevin at EVIL are great to deal with, they answered all my questions very quickly. Big Tree Bikes in Seattle is ordering the frame for me.:thumbsup:

The burly hooligan build:
07 fox 36 talas
azonic outlaw wheels
slx cranks (1x9 gearing, probably a 32 ring up front)
sram x7
old but good deore hydros
thomson post
syncros FR bar/stem
wtb pure v saddle
king headset
nevegal stick-e 2.35 f/r

Most of the parts are transfers from a bottlerocket frame I just sold. The future may hold a lighter wheelset and sunline stem/bar. Will post pics when done! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.