Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
41 - 45 of 45 Posts
Bokchoicowboy said:
Where the heck in California did you do all this "show up late and they let you off" stuff? The two jusrisdictions I worked in (one in Southern, one in Northern Cal) if you were not there for your appearance date and time, then tough crap for you. Instant FTA warrant. No walking in at a slackers hour of 11 am. If you walked in and presented yourself at that time the bailiff calmly hooked you up, read you your rights, stuck you in the box, and you waited until a clear moment for some judge to listen to your sob story. More often than not you got an extra fine added to your already mounting court costs for pulling that late crap. Also, the right to a speedy trial is not damaged even if most municipal level courts don't hear your case for one whole year. And as far as befuddling a judge with "technical" stuff, like your equations and whatnot, the people I saw who tried to pull off that trick usually pissed off the judge and didn't get any reduction or dismissal. Rule of thumb for any and all court appearances is treat the judge and court with respect.
This is not Ca. This is an east coast municipality, and the documents clearly state CONFERENCE where the DA tries to knock it down. WHen you show up, they are at the tail end of their conferences, and then have to dig your paperwork up, then you must request to go to trial, and then they say they aren't prepared usually because the officer is no longer available to testify. Has nothing to do with the judge. They either send you to the office that has a judge in it and the cop isn't there, or they adjourn. On their last time, you get off. They try their damndest. There's nothing they can do about you going into the room at 11 because they're still taking care of conferences because the lines are large. People line up at 7am hoping to get out early. The key is getting in there before the judge comes out and carries out the plea bargains or enters the guilty pleas. In this municipality. As far as the FTA, one can show up the next day for court and they have to vacate it, even if you flubbed, so long as a trial was not scheduled, but rather a conference.

Again, this was not Ca, this was one municipality in where I once lived for a time, and they had technicalities available, as did surrounding villages and other counties. Hell, the best was getting out of tickets where I requested a supporting deposition and the cop got the car wrong. Another where the cop never mailed them and they had no proof he did.

I actually an not for the life of me, actually believe that some of you have been spanked by the law for speeding on a MTB. Given that I can understand all the arguements, the lunacy of the issue is moot when most people do not have speedometers on their bikes to keep their bikes speed in check...what, do all you chaps use the force to help keep it under the limit...what a farce.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.