Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently living in Colorado but planning to move back East eventually, and considering Eastern Massachusetts or Southern NH. Probably wouldn't go further north than Plymouth as we want to stay more South to be closer to family. I know there are not really true MTB towns in NH like CO but looking for somewhere that would give me quick access to at least a couple trail systems for weekday rides, and within an hour or two to some bigger trail systems for weekend trips. I like any kind of singletrack riding and am familiar with riding NH and MA.

What comes to mind for a good place to call home for an avid mountain biker that likes to get out 3-4 times a week, without getting bored.

Saw this post on Concord https://forums.mtbr.com/vermont-new-hampshire-maine/concord-nh-bike-town-939247.html which seems like a good spot to be, but I am not really a city person. Could live outside the downtown are though. Any other places that jump out?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I suggest Auburn NH. That’s where I live. We got a technical mountain bike trail here. 5 mins away from me. It’s called FOMBA. If you want relaxed fire roads. We have tower hill pond trail, Massabesic Audubon, Rockingham recreational trail. Bear brook park has flowy trails. It’s 30mins away from Auburn. You can also bike going there by passing thru tower hill pond trail. Auburn is 10-15 mins away from Manchester. So it’s at the outskirts of the city and a quiet town. Concord is 30 mins away, Boston is 50 mins away. There’s also a trail where there are small jumps and drops but it’s in Nashua, it’s by the trailhead of nashua River rail trail.

If you have Facebook join NH sea cost mountain bike group and ask around there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hollis/Brookline/Nashua also has access to some good trails. Beaver Brook, Yudicky, Horse Hill are great trails for pedaling with only short sections of technical. If you want a good day of riding there is also Pat's Peak (not maintained this year because...Covid). If you like crushing boulder strewn trails, check out Ledges in Brookline. I haven't ridding that one (I'm on a XC carbon hardtail), but the YouTube video looks pretty challenging.

-Bob

·
Registered
71 Posts
Keene has great local riding and is a very nice southern NH small city / large town. Drummer Hill is really fun riding right out of town.

https://www.trailforks.com/region/drummer-hill-goose-pond/map/

Tons of great gravel as well. Very good access over to VT riding like Ascutney for easy day trips. Lots more hills than over on seacoast NH.

Not far from Thunder Mtn & Highland Mtn for lift serve, even Killington. Don't know if it's further west than you were thinking for southern NH, it's def not in the Boston radius.

·
2,603 Posts
Hollis/Brookline/Nashua also has access to some good trails. Beaver Brook, Yudicky, Horse Hill are great trails for pedaling with only short sections of technical. If you want a good day of riding there is also Pat's Peak (not maintained this year because...Covid). If you like crushing boulder strewn trails, check out Ledges in Brookline. I haven't ridding that one (I'm on a XC carbon hardtail), but the YouTube video looks pretty challenging.

-Bob
My folks live in Hollis and the access to trails is pretty impressive. I always bring my bike when I visit them. I've been really impressed with Horse Hill and Yudicky. There's a crazy amount of trails networks within 30 min. of Hollis; very nice little town too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts