Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
rider
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about heading south for 7-10 days of riding/camping soon. Prefer solitary/cheap campsites with challenging rides from camp. Love the Gooseberry/Little Creek riding but it may be a bit cold (5k ft. elevation) and far for this time of year & length of trip. Anything closer in Socal that fits the bill?. Was even thinking of hitting Death/Saline Valleys for the fine temps. I know that no singletrack can be ridden there, but lots of rugged doubletrack to explore sounds ok.

I'm from Chico here in Norcal.

·
Registered
43 Posts
jms said:
The Idyllwild and Palm Desert area has some incredible trails and scenery.
Check out:

The Art Smith Trail
Ramona Trail
Palm Cyn
Pinion Flats Trail

Here's a link that might help:

http://www.socaltrailriders.org/for...anyon-epic-after-rains-though.html#post664885
I live in Palm Springs...aalthough I am moving to Campbell in Feb!
Here are all the details on Palm Canyon rides. PM me I may be able to go with you if you come out.
http://www.socaltrailriders.org/forum/trailhead/45498-december-30-2009-palm-canyon-ride.html

·
I'm a "she".
936 Posts
We are in Tucson for a week. By the time we leave on Saturday, we would have done 6 or 7 days of riding in a row. That's how much we are enjoying it. I have a Q&A thread going on Arizona board (link). I plan on making a summary post in the end with all the rides and their links for other visitors' future references. Check back there in a few days if you are interested.

I have no idea about camping here though because we rented a house, where the shower and laundry are appreciated every day. If you can get more people to join you, that's the way to go. Look on CL for good rental rates. (We are paying about $450/week.)

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I'll be out there

Dirt_Diggler said:
come to tucson. i'll show you around. small fee ;-)
I love that area. But for the length of the drive to and from, that would be my first recommendation to anyone looking for a winter riding/camping destination away from the Bay Area. I don't believe there's a better place to ride a mountain bike in the winter than S. AZ. And there's plenty of stuff aside from riding to do @ Tucson.

I'll be out @ Tucson towards the end of January for a couple weeks myself. I camp out @ the 24Hr of O.P. course w/friends. There's some trails beyond the course that are really fun and scenic. I'm counting the days.

·
I'm a "she".
936 Posts
Oops, I just realized that in my previous post, I copied the wrong link (too many tabs open). Here is the correct link to my AZ thread: Visiting Tucson. Qs: Tire, Epic Rides, Fun Rides, etc. We just had six straight days of fabulous riding. I was in heaven.

Now, for my future visits, what is that "plenty of stuff aside from riding to do @ Tucson" (besides rock climbing)?

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
You could visit

mudworm said:
Now, for my future visits, what is that "plenty of stuff aside from riding to do @ Tucson" (besides rock climbing)?
For starters you could visit:

Colossal Caves and the bat exhibit and caves.
Arizona Sonora Desert Museum.
Downtown @ the University District is a slice.
Fairwheel Bike if you'd like to geek out on really light bike sh!t.
Hike @ Saguaro National Park
Air Museum

·
rider
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
jms said:
I love that area. But for the length of the drive to and from, that would be my first recommendation to anyone looking for a winter riding/camping destination away from the Bay Area. I don't believe there's a better place to ride a mountain bike in the winter than S. AZ. And there's plenty of stuff aside from riding to do @ Tucson.

I'll be out @ Tucson towards the end of January for a couple weeks myself. I camp out @ the 24Hr of O.P. course w/friends. There's some trails beyond the course that are really fun and scenic. I'm counting the days.
Sounds prefect, but for the long drive as you say.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.