Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
wowarizona.com
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We just had some shocks "PUSH-ed". 2 Float "R's", 1 Float "RC"

(My use of descriptive adjectives and gratuitous, gushing, superlatives tends to be a bit lacking, but I'll try to overcome that vocabulary shortcoming. I'll attempt to use the proper vernacular…)

DUDE, [email protected]! WOW, WHOA, SUPER, SICK, ILLIN', and the oft used SWEET!!!

Okay, that out of the way…

If you're looking to upgrade, not buy a new bike, look into this. I'm blown away by the character change of the bike.

Installed on '03 Wrekylls (Jekylls) in "full slacker" mode. The shock, (former RC), performance is incredible. I climbed sections last night that, in the past, would have had me spinning out, (that with the bike formerly set in XC mode.) On drops/rocks of about 12-18 inches, the bike settled right in and had ZERO pogo. To say I was impressed is a complete understatement. Rock gardens were faster, negotiated more smoothly and standing and cranking on the pedals without "squish, squish" was quite a pleasant change. I remarked to Louis and Zach agreed ( one o' the "kids", 27) that we'd have to learn to ride a whole different way.

Forward momentum through sand was exponentially improved. Where I used to have to use much more body English to negotiate/traverse long sand sections, I cruised right through.

On a comparison, one of our kids (another one of the kids, 22 years old) has a "true" SPV on an '04 model. I think that the PUSH outperforms it. (I would like to think that prescribed ride is why you're laying out your $$$.)

Disclaimer: I'm not one of the "world class, uber-hardcore" riders that post on the board, nor the most informed. It might not work for some.

SunDog's Float RC has been "PUSH'ed", should be back Monday…

Here's a couple pics from the ride last evening.

Attachments

·
wowarizona.com
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Sunday Ride Follow-up:

C.J. said:
(My use of descriptive adjectives and gratuitous, gushing, superlatives tends to be a bit lacking, but I'll try to overcome that vocabulary shortcoming. I'll attempt to use the proper vernacular…)

DUDE, [email protected]! WOW, WHOA, SUPER, SICK, ILLIN', and the oft used SWEET!!!
Again, limited descriptive vocabulary…

After a good ride Sunday, ( Happy Valley, Chutes/Rollercoaster, Deer Camp, Cherry Tank, Sonorasauras, Sutherland/Rattlesnake, some recon), I'm even more impressed with my new PUSH shock. Having limited, (but growing), grip strength in my left hand, (insert appropriate comment here…), I've been a bit reticent to jump like I used to before my surgeries. As the ride progressed and I "learned" the shock a little more, I was willing to try more. The bike would settle right in after drops!!! I was pushing, (no pun intended), my own self-imposed impact limits, and loving it. Louis remarked, "you'll be paying a price for that later, mister". Zach expressed again, the need for change of riding style and how great to be able to stand and crank.

The three of us had a great time. No one out there but us, rained at the top with the sun shining all around. It was hot and perfect(104 degrees when we got home). Empty Camlebaks, a bit scratched up, railing back time from Cherry Tank had me, literally, laughing out loud.

·
caninus xerophilous
1,741 Posts
Pushing hard, eagh?

Guess I'll know soon enough if that Push hype is hyperbole.

Nice pics and a most excellent ride to C-Tank with you and the Zackman. The mountain was definately smiling upon us. Too bad those Phoneacians only saw it at night!

Louis

·
Registered
39 Posts
huh?

You lost me in the beginning. Since I don't really keep up on all the latest gear, tell me what you're talking about.

Is this some kind of upgrade done to your shock? What is it, who does it, and what does it cost?

T.A.

·
MTBR Tool
831 Posts
Push Industries Inc

SunDog said:
Guess I'll know soon enough if that Push hype is hyperbole.

Nice pics and a most excellent ride to C-Tank with you and the Zackman. The mountain was definately smiling upon us. Too bad those Phoneacians only saw it at night!

Louis
Indeed - nice to see some daylight pics of the cactus strewn ride we did :)

Thanks for the insight into Push - I've enjoyed my upgrade from a SID to the Manitou Swinger SPV . But if/when they come out w/a pushed Swinger I might well look into this...

·
wowarizona.com
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's a shock modification/upgrade…

tool man said:
You lost me in the beginning. Since I don't really keep up on all the latest gear, tell me what you're talking about.

Is this some kind of upgrade done to your shock? What is it, who does it, and what does it cost?

T.A.
…done by a company called Push Industries. They re-valve/shim/change/"make magic" with your existing shock to custom tune it to your specific riding style/conditions and rider weight.

There are a couple of processes available, prices vary.

The service is incredible. I thought that SunDog's shock would be back, today. They (Push) called to say it was "blowed up real good", (my words, not theirs) and that it couldn't be rebuilt. Offered to send photos of what was wrong (sheared-off lock out valve, internally scratching shock body, preventing nitrogen charge), etc.
(We immediately called Al at Titus, who arrangeda new Vanilla, being picked up by MaryEllen at Titus as I write this…) Push wants it right away so Louis and I can be out testing it by Saturday.

HTTP://www.pushindustries.com

Nothing but praise for these guys.

·
wowarizona.com
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Yesterday with SunDog

C.J. said:
Again, limited descriptive vocabulary…

After a good ride Sunday, ( Happy Valley, Chutes/Rollercoaster, Deer Camp, Cherry Tank, Sonorasauras, Sutherland/Rattlesnake, some recon), I'm even more impressed with my new PUSH shock. Having limited, (but growing), grip strength in my left hand, (insert appropriate comment here…), I've been a bit reticent to jump like I used to before my surgeries. As the ride progressed and I "learned" the shock a little more, I was willing to try more. The bike would settle right in after drops!!! I was pushing, (no pun intended), my own self-imposed impact limits, and loving it. Louis remarked, "you'll be paying a price for that later, mister". Zach expressed again, the need for change of riding style and how great to be able to stand and crank.

The three of us had a great time. No one out there but us, rained at the top with the sun shining all around. It was hot and perfect(104 degrees when we got home). Empty Camlebaks, a bit scratched up, railing back time from Cherry Tank had me, literally, laughing out loud.
Still learning to ride all over again…

Slow speed skills and confidence have experienced quite the boost! Without any 'boing, boing', I can roll off and drop through rock gardens with more control and ease.

Climbing is much better, (never having been my strongest skill). I'm not any faster at it, just more control. The tire stays on the ground!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pics from yesterday. Taken by Louis

Attachments

·
caninus xerophilous
1,741 Posts
Pushed Shock Review.

Been a month or so since I installed "pushed my" coil fox. I also added some heavy DH tires with extra spooge about the same time taking the Quasi up to a solid 40lbs. I wanted to put in some extened riding before I posted a review. I had some trials dialing the shock in and can now say that it definately does what it is supposed to do.

I can climb my 6 inch travel 40lb beast up all the Catalina trails in the middle ring. That is considerable since my wheels are now DH heavy (521's/Minions/5 squirts of Cactus Spooge).

On the dampening side I have to wonder why the heck did I run an air shock for so darn long! Oh yeah I was saving the $500 plus that it would cost for a Romic, new seat mast, and linkage. Well I bought a Fox Vanilla R for $150 and had it Pushed for free thanks to CJ's bartering. Push put pro level internals and custom valved it to my riding style and weight.

A 5th Element Bullit rider said it felt just like his bike. Minus the complexity and relaibility issues I quipped to myself.

If your looking for a stable platform shock I would recommend looking into getting your shock "Pushed".

Louis

1 - 12 of 12 Posts