Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife graduated from William and Mary several years ago and wants us to consider moving to the area, but I have to know if there is any decent sintgle track in the area.

I've lived in Norther VA for the last ten years and REALLY like trails like Fountainhead and Schaeffer. Is there anything that compares down south?

·
old man riding!
189 Posts
No ! But there are some trails in that area that are'nt bad. I lived in norfolk and va beach area for about 8 years and I rode all of those. In williamsburg there is wallers mill which is actually nice single track and a blast to ride but not challenging. I f you go to trail reviews section of mtbr you can get more info of what you have to work with. good luck

·
Registered
117 Posts
waller mill has been closed for several years! what was the name of that hurricane?... isabelle? anyway, the evma has built and maintains several nice trails in w'burg. uppercounty, yorkriver state park, new quarter, freedom park. you can visit evma.org and get directions and descriptions. plus the richmond area has some good trails/parks too, thats a hour drive from w'burg.

·
Rider
110 Posts
W'burg is really fun, lots of fast trails. I road Fountainhead last year and it was very tough. The trails in W'burg aren't that tough but there are lots. They are working on two new areas in New Kent County, just a hop away towards Richmond, and from what I hear they are going to build a pump track at New Quarter and improved the trails at Freedom Park, which is my favorite! They bike active place!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Me and my buddies have a good time riding our stuff here, we usually stick to either New Quarter Park (which is pretty nice, I don't know how it compares, but I find some parts a little challenging. It also has a pretty cool "double black diamond" section.) and Freedom Park (which is very similar to New Quarter).

·
Registered
128 Posts
Williamsburg Area

York River State Park offers some good trails. Williamsburg is an hour (or slightly less) from the James River State Park trails in downtown Richmond. Truly unique trail system there in the middle of the city.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Poor Farms is right there in Richmond. I've rode it a few times and raced it once. Nothing particularly tough, but it is fast rolly (sp?) singletract. On Par w/ Fountainhead. Never thought that place was tough.

Basically the futher west you go the better the riding will get better. Good luck!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Williamsburg is a great location. You are equidistant between the ocean and great single track in the Richmond area. Both Richmond and Williamsburg have extremely strong club participation. This ensures well groomed trails and great people to ride with.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yorkriver, Freedom Park and New Quarter are all in the Williamsburg/Lightfoot/Croaker area and all compare to Schaeffer Farms in my opinion. Plus the road riding in that area is WAAAYYYYYY better than the NOVA area as far as traffic goes.

I do miss riding at Schaeffer Farms after work however. Living at the Beach means I can only ride in Williamsburg on the weekends.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.