Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize upfront because I'm sure the question has been asked a bunch of times..

I brought my bike out finally and want to start using it. I am very much a beginner but love the dirt. Would someone be kind enough to offer some suggestions as to areas within 10-20 miles of S.Scottsdale for riding? Possibly a link to a website of trails in the area? I've done some searching to no avail.

Thank you in advance.
Adrian

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have to agree. Papago is right down the street from south scottsdale. You could always take the cross cut canal south and enter the back side of hole in the rock, head west and cross galvin parkway (road that runs through papago) go left on trails and ride around the golf course. Great for a beginner ride!

·
Give it a crank
2,995 Posts
Definitely Papago, the trails around Curry Rd. are fast and a lot of fun. The Greenbelt is always fun, it's paved and easy, good for a rest with the wind in your face. Then when you get good with your bike on dirt, head to South Mountain. The eastern end near 48th St. & Baseline is within your 20 mile radius and is full of trails, most require advanced skills though.

·
EDR
10,048 Posts
AZSunDevil said:
Thank you for the replies everyone. I'm at Scottsdale between Thomas/McDowell. I will be trying out papago sunday.

Thank you again all.
Adrian

If you're near the freeway you are 15-20ish minutes from Hawes. Great place to get going on. Real mtb trails without being overly technical for a beginner. Plus you can't really get too lost.

·
Registered
356 Posts
AZSunDevil said:
Thank you for the replies everyone. I'm at Scottsdale between Thomas/McDowell. I will be trying out papago sunday.

Thank you again all.
Adrian
You can actually ride into papago probably right from your front door. Enter on Mcdowell at the canal that runs between 68th street and Galvin pkwy, or go up to the two red rocks with the ampitheatre that is right on mcdowell, there is some trailheads there as well.

Papago is as good as it's gonna get for a beginner

·
slow uphill
570 Posts
ajmelin said:
Phoenix Mt. Preserve at Northern and the Squaw Peak Freeway is < 20 freeway miles from you too.
agree - good set of trails between tatum and 7th ave, as far north as about cactus and to the south lincoln/glendale

·
No new blood
156 Posts
This link shows some trails in the Phoenix part of Papago park:

http://phoenix.gov/PARKS/hikpagud.html

If you follow the canal south until it crosses over a road you will be in the Tempe part of the park where the trails are more defined and I think more fun to ride. I wanted to post some links from the MBAA site, but the links for the Papago loops have been hijacked.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Papago is great for beginners. I add it in to my ride sometimes. I'm near el dorado park. You can take the cross cut canal near the botanical gardens and then cross over galvin parkway and you're there. I take the green belt down to tempe town lake and hit those trails near curry. Those are fun as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts