Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· AKA shitbird
Joined
·
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I volunteered today to help the Phoenix Parks Department with some trail maintenance. While talking to them I was asked by the rangers to remind fellow mountain bikers to tread carefully and respect all trail users. Evidently there is a hiker out there who had an "altercation" with some bikers who were riding several abreast down the fire road at high speed and nearly "ran him down". These bikers evidently were verbally abusive to this hiker as well. This person has made complaints to the Parks & Rec Department and has even taken these issues to City Council. He is citing continuing problems with mountain bikers on the Pima fire road, Desert Classic, and Javelina.

Of course it's possible that this person is exaggerating a small problem, maybe there is no problem, who knows? One the other hand, If there is validation to the claims of this hiker it needs to be corrected ASAP. I'm not sure what resolution this person seeks but his complaints cast us in a bad light.

The good news is that the Park Rangers realize that the vast majority of us are responsible trail users and seem to have our back. They are just asking that when we see somebody acting irresponsibly either let the person know what they are doing wrong and do our best to correct it or report the offender to a Ranger.


One more thing, PLEASE don't turn this thread into a diatribe of panic postings about how the mountain is going to be closed to bikes. That is not what this is about. :nono:
 

· Registered
Joined
·
9,134 Posts
eabos said:
I volunteered today to help the Phoenix Parks Department with some trail maintenance. While talking to them I was asked by the rangers to remind fellow mountain bikers to tread carefully and respect all trail users. Evidently there is a hiker out there who had an "altercation" with some bikers who were riding several abreast down the fire road at high speed and nearly "ran him down". These bikers evidently were verbally abusive to this hiker as well. This person has made complaints to the Parks & Rec Department and has even taken these issues to City Council. He is citing continuing problems with mountain bikers on the Pima fire road, Desert Classic, and Javelina.

Of course it's possible that this person is exaggerating a small problem, maybe there is no problem, who knows? One the other hand, If there is validation to the claims of this hiker it needs to be corrected ASAP. I'm not sure what resolution this person seeks but his complaints cast us in a bad light.

The good news is that the Park Rangers realize that the vast majority of us are responsible trail users and seem to have our back. They are just asking that when we see somebody acting irresponsibly either let the person know what they are doing wrong and do our best to correct it or report the offender to a Ranger.

One more thing, PLEASE don't turn this thread into a diatribe of panic postings about how the mountain is going to be closed to bikes. That is not what this is about. :nono:
Quick question: were said bikers wearing lycra?

(Sorry, had to be asked. Thanks for the heads up, and the reminder.)
 

· Banned
Joined
·
1,111 Posts
Good thing Holbert wasn't in your post...

Some hiker was kind enough to get out of our way... but he was totally off trail. When asked to stay on trail; the reply was the big F U to Berzerker.

Words were tossed back and forth and I thought there was going to be a good ole style rumble at the couch on Holbert.
 

· Shred...it's the new drug
Joined
·
3,839 Posts
cesslinger said:
Good thing Holbert wasn't in your post...

Some hiker was kind enough to get out of our way... but he was totally off trail. When asked to stay on trail; the reply was the big F U to Berzerker.

Words were tossed back and forth and I thought there was going to be a good ole style rumble at the couch on Holbert.
Just to clarify a bit more...said hiker was shortcutting up to miss a switch back, he was kind enough to move to the side and all of us thanked him but when he was reminded to stay on the trail that's when words were tossed at us. We were 10 deep with riders and he seemed to call his posse of two to come down after us. Luckily we headed down the trail with no altercations, but we were about 10 minutes from being on the news...
 

· Registered
Joined
·
9,134 Posts
cesslinger said:
Good thing Holbert wasn't in your post...

Some hiker was kind enough to get out of our way... but he was totally off trail. When asked to stay on trail; the reply was the big F U to Berzerker.

Words were tossed back and forth and I thought there was going to be a good ole style rumble at the couch on Holbert.
You almost ran over an off-trail hiker?
 

· Two wheels are better
Joined
·
193 Posts
MTBR Forum is kind of like the news... if you watch it daily, you get the impression that humanity is falling apart. Dowhillers not stopping for uphillers. Riders stopping in the middle of trails. Bikers beating up hikers. Kittens stealing the souls of little babies. I just don't know if I can take it anymore. :madman:

What we need is a SoMo Sheriff! :madmax:

That's right, one man who's the black private dick and a sex machine to all the chicks.
One man who would risk his neck for his brother man.
One man who won't cop out when there's danger all about.
He'll be a complicated man and no one will understand him but his woman.
That's right... SHAFT will save SoMo for us! :thumbsup:
 

· Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
latedropbob said:
Just to clarify a bit more...said hiker was shortcutting up to miss a switch back, he was kind enough to move to the side and all of us thanked him but when he was reminded to stay on the trail that's when words were tossed at us. We were 10 deep with riders and he seemed to call his posse of two to come down after us. Luckily we headed down the trail with no altercations, but we were about 10 minutes from being on the news...
Ah yes good times!!! lol rock is all I got to say
 

· Registered
Joined
·
347 Posts
eabos said:
I volunteered today to help the Phoenix Parks Department with some trail maintenance. While talking to them I was asked by the rangers to remind fellow mountain bikers to tread carefully and respect all trail users. Evidently there is a hiker out there who had an "altercation" with some bikers who were riding several abreast down the fire road at high speed and nearly "ran him down". These bikers evidently were verbally abusive to this hiker as well. This person has made complaints to the Parks & Rec Department and has even taken these issues to City Council. He is citing continuing problems with mountain bikers on the Pima fire road, Desert Classic, and Javelina.

Of course it's possible that this person is exaggerating a small problem, maybe there is no problem, who knows? One the other hand, If there is validation to the claims of this hiker it needs to be corrected ASAP. I'm not sure what resolution this person seeks but his complaints cast us in a bad light.

The good news is that the Park Rangers realize that the vast majority of us are responsible trail users and seem to have our back. They are just asking that when we see somebody acting irresponsibly either let the person know what they are doing wrong and do our best to correct it or report the offender to a Ranger.

One more thing, PLEASE don't turn this thread into a diatribe of panic postings about how the mountain is going to be closed to bikes. That is not what this is about. :nono:
Thanks Moe I was Jonesing for a good old Somo Rumbel Thread Havnt had one in 6 months. Thanks For the update from the rangers.
AND NO IT WAS NOT ME. :D
 

· Plasko
Joined
·
203 Posts
No he won't, you were just looking for any excuse you could find to type the word "SHAFT" on mtbr ;)

beardedstealth said:
MTBR Forum is kind of like the news... if you watch it daily, you get the impression that humanity is falling apart. Dowhillers not stopping for uphillers. Riders stopping in the middle of trails. Bikers beating up hikers. Kittens stealing the souls of little babies. I just don't know if I can take it anymore. :madman:

What we need is a SoMo Sheriff! :madmax:

That's right, one man who's the black private dick and a sex machine to all the chicks.
One man who would risk his neck for his brother man.
One man who won't cop out when there's danger all about.
He'll be a complicated man and no one will understand him but his woman.
That's right... SHAFT will save SoMo for us! :thumbsup:
 

· parenting for gnarness
Joined
·
6,224 Posts
latedropbob said:
nope, thanked him for stepping aside and reminded him that he was off trail and cutting a switchback...
hoping in the spirit of supporting the Rangers and good trail etiquette that you informed the Rangers. This is the exact sort of thing that they do want to hear and why they have welcomed many MTBrs into the Steward program - not finger pointing, but just so they can spread the word and help everyone enjoy the mountain and know where to apply their resources.

I have no doubts you guys were polite as you say. Good on ya for trying to be polite and suggest the correct behavior to the hiker.
 

· Maui Grown
Joined
·
722 Posts
beardedstealth said:
What we need is a SoMo Sheriff! :madmax:
We have one. Haven't you heard of Sheriff Moe Gnarpaio? :D
 

· I love bike!
Joined
·
1,152 Posts
I had no idea that kittens could steal the souls of little babies. Another factor for the wifey and I to consider before having children. Thanks for the heads-up.

This forum has been an invaluable resource for me :thumbsup:
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top