Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you ride, keep your eyes peeled for someone cutting trees in the preserve. For an example of the damage, ride lower Corona Loma the Palo Verde's are cut and dropped a few feet off of the trail. The cutting is extensive on many of the hiking trails on the Awatukee side of the preserve. It looks like they are using lopping shears and a saw. The Palo Verde's and the Iron woods will probably recover from the damage, but the vandal has damaged a rare elephant tree http://www.desertusa.com/dec96/du_elephant.html

If you see them, call the park service 602-495-0222.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Not a biker doing the cutting....

This last Saturday I hiked the south ridge of SOMO from East to West between Beverly Canyon and Viejo / Old Man. A large number of tree's had been "pruned" there too.

I know it isn't mtb'ers because the sections I hiked weren't accessible to bikes.

Who ever did the cutting was over zealous because they were cutting way back from the trail, 5-10 feet back. As slow as the trees grow up there, it will take years for the growth to return to where is was.

I happened to be hiking with my neighbor who runs landscaping crews for a large local company. He said whoever did the work didn't know what in the hell they were doing. It was obvious by the big branch knobs they left on the trees (he said branches need to be trimmed back to the joint of the tree).

It appears to me that whoever is doing the work means well i.e. maintaining the trails, however, I think they need a lesson on how to do the work and get proper authorization.....my $.02

·
Registered
251 Posts
It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission. 5-10 feet from the trail will keep it nice and clear for a year or more. The elephant tree was probably ignorance on his or her part. I hate the scars on my arms from shrubbery.

Where on the trail is the Elephant tree please? It looks interesting and I'd like to see it. I've probably passed it a hundred times and hadn't even noticed.

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,181 Posts
RogerDoger said:
It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission. 5-10 feet from the trail will keep it nice and clear for a year or more. The elephant tree was probably ignorance on his or her part. I hate the scars on my arms from shrubbery.

Where on the trail is the Elephant tree please? It looks interesting and I'd like to see it. I've probably passed it a hundred times and hadn't even noticed.
There are a bunch of the rare Elephant trees on the east side of Alta and I've seen at least one on the Corona Loma descent. They have big fat knobby trunks relative to the rest of the tree size. I first saw them on the Baja peninsula amongst fields of the odd Boojum tree.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Easier....

RogerDoger said:

Where are you going that shrubbery 5-10 feet from the trail is causing you scars. The Park is extremely concerned about this activity. There is no excuse for butchering the desert because a few scratches cause an issue. If someone wants to trim encroaching brush, spend some time up on the BCT.

I hope you are not one of the folks participating in this "trimming". There are ways to contact the Rangers to recommend maintanence/work days. Look on www.mbaa.net of voaz.org.

G

·
mhykhelle said:
Where are you going that shrubbery 5-10 feet from the trail is causing you scars. The Park is extremely concerned about this activity. There is no excuse for butchering the desert because a few scratches cause an issue. If someone wants to trim encroaching brush, spend some time up on the BCT.

I hope you are not one of the folks participating in this "trimming". There are ways to contact the Rangers to recommend maintanence/work days. Look on www.mbaa.net of voaz.org.
Hey wait a minute, aren't you a Californian now?:D

Oh and I heard the news through the grapevine, congrats!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
DurtGurl said:
There are a bunch of the rare Elephant trees on the east side of Alta and I've seen at least one on the Corona Loma descent. They have big fat knobby trunks relative to the rest of the tree size. I first saw them on the Baja peninsula amongst fields of the odd Boojum tree.
There are a few of these trees along the washes above the Desert Classic trail off of the Warner-Elliot loop. From a distance they look like a much darker Palo Verde.

If you brush or touch an elephant tree you will immediately notice that these trees are very fragrant, especially when in bloom -- they have very small flowers.

·
Registered
251 Posts
mhykhelle said:
Naw, I'd actually have to care enough about something in order to do something about it or go out of my way one way or another. Unlike most people, I'm not even going to pretend to care about a tree because it's rare. I'm a sad and careless person...indifference is like a warm blanket to me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.