Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Addicted to Dirt
Joined
·
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me how to get to the South Mountain Trailhead on the Ahwatukee side?

When I visit Phoenix will be staying near that area and I want to know if I can ride to the trailhead or if I need to drive. Thanks!

Luis

Note to moderator:
I checked the sticky and could not find what I was looking for hence the new "can you help..." post :D
 

·
I think I need to Upgrade
Joined
·
1,620 Posts
ingluis said:
Can anyone tell me how to get to the South Mountain Trailhead on the Ahwatukee side?

When I visit Phoenix will be staying near that area and I want to know if I can ride to the trailhead or if I need to drive. Thanks!

Luis

Note to moderator:
I checked the sticky and could not find what I was looking for hence the new "can you help..." post :D
Are you talking about the trail head off of 48th st? Or the one down in the Foothills?

If you are refering to the one off of 48th st to get there from Elliot rd and 48th st you will go north on 48th st, the next light you come to will be Piedmont, continue north on 48th st a little further a median will start and you will want to take your 3rd left I believe, you will now see a guard shack on your left and a gate infront of you, you want to turn left again and go past the guard shack and up to the trail head.

If you are refering to the trail head in the Foothills you want to turn North at this intersection http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?a...ler+blv&csz=85048&country=us&new=1&name=&qty= . When you get to the top of the hill on the right the houses will stop and you will see a park gate, turn right into there and you are at the trail head.
 

·
MBAA!
Joined
·
294 Posts
I added my trailhead... just dont the road from the one your referring too I believe.



If you can bike to Chandler and Desert Foothills Parkway, you can bike to the trailhead. That is, if your referring to the Foothills trailhead. If not its still in the Ahwatukee area, and I have biked there but I do tend to be willing to bike 10 miles or so just to get to a good trail.
 

·
I am Walt
Joined
·
6,393 Posts
Warpaint

There is another trailhead I like - it is off of Warpaint, just north of Knox, which runs in between and parallel to Ray and Warner. From this trailhead, it's about 1 1/2 miles to Desert Classic, which you pick up a couple miles west of the water tank. A nice warm up and nice singletrack. Not rocky.

So from Ray or Warner, go north from Ray or south from Warner on 48th St., turn west on Knox, continue a few miles, past the Catholic church, then the road bends slightly to the left. Just past 32nd St. (or 31st St. - I forget) is Warpaint. You can only turn right (north). Continue about 1/2 mile and the trailhead is on your left.
 

·
I think I need to Upgrade
Joined
·
1,620 Posts
ingluis said:
:confused:

Haha, hey It's not my place! (I wish...)

I'll rent a car so meeting up anytime, anywhere is no problem.
I have lived here in Ahwatukee for 11 years, anything past club west is the "Bowels of Tukee" When exactly are you going to be in town to ride? Do you have Lights? If you do bring them we can put them to good use.
 

·
Addicted to Dirt
Joined
·
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
AzSpeedfreek said:
I have lived here in Ahwatukee for 11 years, anything past club west is the "Bowels of Tukee" When exactly are you going to be in town to ride? Do you have Lights? If you do bring them we can put them to good use.
I will be in town from 12/23 to 1/1, I'm driving up to Sedona and S. Utah sometime during the week. I don't have lights at this moment (maybe santa is reading this...hello santa you there?) Looking to ride in Phoenix during Christmas weekend.
 

·
I need to ride more.
Joined
·
150 Posts
Rides with or without lights

ingluis said:
I will be in town from 12/23 to 1/1, I'm driving up to Sedona and S. Utah sometime during the week. I don't have lights at this moment (maybe santa is reading this...hello santa you there?) Looking to ride in Phoenix during Christmas weekend.
I live a few miles East, near 24th and Chander, of where you are staying. I have that whole week off myself, and will be riding a lot.

If you want to try some night rides, I have a spare HID I could loan you...if you've never ridden at night, it's a blast. I know all the trails on the foothills side, so let me know if you're interested.

L8r,
Richard
 

·
Addicted to Dirt
Joined
·
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
FastrThnU said:
I live a few miles East, near 24th and Chander, of where you are staying. I have that whole week off myself, and will be riding a lot.

If you want to try some night rides, I have a spare HID I could loan you...if you've never ridden at night, it's a blast. I know all the trails on the foothills side, so let me know if you're interested.

L8r,
Richard
Woohoo! Of course I am interested. My bikes arrived today at my sister-in-law's house (where I'm staying) It sucks that I can't ride this weekend while my bikes are partying it up in Phoenix haha. I'll PM you next week.
Luis
 

·
Addicted to Dirt
Joined
·
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Koke said:
I will be visiting PHX and doing a SoMo ride on 12/23. What time are you planning on going?
Koke,
I arrive at Phoenix on 12/23 around 11am. I have to put the bikes back together and deal with some family craziness that day. IF I ride that same day it will probably be in the afternoon sometime. Maybe a shakedown ride on DC. I'm up for riding any other day after that.
 

·
more beers, lees gears.
Joined
·
1,191 Posts
sorry to bring up such an old post

I am looking for some trails that are not on the map. I am very familiar with the DC side of somo and semi familiar with the national side.

This weekend I rode with some friends and we did the "east Loop"

We started on the fire road toward national, then dropped in north on a trail marked "east loop". We proceeded toward the north for the most part, then later wrapped around the golf course, and came right back into the pima parking lot.

Are these East & West loops on any maps? I looked at all the SoMo maps I could find.

i know this was a short 4 mile loop, but I had a great time, and enjoyed the rocky descents as they pushed my tech ability a bit more. I plan on either riding them before DC, or maybe riding a few loops getting better at my tech skills.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
336 Posts
arriving Phoenix 1/6/09 - advice appreciated!

hi, I love technical singletrack - been in Sedona for a week - coming to ride in Phoenix for a few days at least. Scared of big cities - advice on where to stay (inexpensive motel), good bike shop with good advice, where to ride first, next, (thinking to start at So. Mnt.) ...
- all much appreciated!
thanks,
-Bob
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top