Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Living Life Behind Bars..
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be at a conference in October from Canada and wanted to tack on a cycling trip to the end of it. The resort where this is being held at is near the South Mountain Park/Preserve. Is it worth staying on here for a few days of mtb or would you pack up and relocate in AZ for a few days that would be relatively close to the Pheonix airport ?

I am into x-c and don't mind climbing. I will also be brining a bike so rentals are a non issue.

Thanks in advance Phil

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
g-t- said:
I am going to be at a conference in October from Canada and wanted to tack on a cycling trip to the end of it. The resort where this is being held at is near the South Mountain Park/Preserve. Is it worth staying on here for a few days of mtb or would you pack up and relocate in AZ for a few days that would be relatively close to the Pheonix airport ?

I am into x-c and don't mind climbing. I will also be brining a bike so rentals are a non issue.

Thanks in advance Phil
South Mountain is relatively boring, so I'd say best to get something closer to say Pima and Dynamite. Actually, I'm kidding. In many people's opinion, South Mountain is the best riding in Phoenix, and perhaps the state. If your company is going to pay for it, I'd say no brainer, stick around.

In addition, chances are the weather will be pretty nice in Oct.

·
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
skinny-tire said:
South Mountain is relatively boring, so I'd say best to get something closer to say Pima and Dynamite. Actually, I'm kidding. In many people's opinion, South Mountain is the best riding in Phoenix, and perhaps the state. If your company is going to pay for it, I'd say no brainer, stick around.

In addition, chances are the weather will be pretty nice in Oct.
Thx for the quick reply. I am going to stick around after ( on my own dime ) so I don't mind hitting another area of AZ at all.

Is South Mountain ok to ride / explore solo ? or is it pretty remote ?

·
Ouch, I am hot!
4,765 Posts
g-t-, So.Mo. has some easier rides and it has some very advanced rides. The best ride for you will depend on your skills and what you want to do. So, it is hard to say what you sould do. Because So.Mo. has it all, you should definately stick around. If going the easier route, I suggest Desert Classic. Its an out and back of about 20 miles total and you can do as much of that as you like. Once you get to the trailhead, it will be difficult to get lost.

If you want to try one of Bike Magazine's top 10 trails in the country, you can do National. It is an advanced ride with many technical sections and lots of steps/drops. There are some variations of National that will give you a taste of what it has to offer that incorporate some more itermediate trails that allow you to pull out and return if needed relatively quick and easy. Most intermediate riders will enjoy National as it is always possible to walk the easier sections. A very common route for National is to take Morman Loop up, which connects to National. You can then continue up National to the infamous "Waterfall" and beyond. Continuing will take you to the Buena Vista parking lot. I do not suggest you continue on Nation after that without a guide. At whatever point you turnaround (the Waterfall, the National/Morman Loop connecting point, Buena Vista) you simply go back down National to your starting point. National and Morman loop both start at the same point at the trail head. Please please read this thread, the whole thing, before you go.
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=64613&highlight=step

·
Occidental Tourist
3,563 Posts
g-t- said:
Is South Mountain ok to ride / explore solo ? or is it pretty remote ?
SoMo is great and if you can handle climbing and technical stuff you can easily spend a few days there riding and no not remote at all unless you get jacked-up a few miles from the trailhead

·
Registered
504 Posts
Plenty of options

South Mt. will keep you busy for a couple of days. For diversity, I recommend trying the Hawes trail network too. Hawes is basically all xc riding and the terrain varies greatly from the boulder infested South Mt.
Sedona is still fairly mild in Oct. as long as it is not in a major front. If you've never ridden there is is a great visual experience and the trails are top notch xc trails.
Over the years I've had a chance to ride, at South Mt, with quite a few Canadians that enjoy technical......all enjoyed it!

·
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dirdir said:
g-t-, So.Mo. has some easier rides and it has some very advanced rides. The best ride for you will depend on your skills and what you want to do. So, it is hard to say what you sould do. Because So.Mo. has it all, you should definately stick around. If going the easier route, I suggest Desert Classic. Its an out and back of about 20 miles total and you can do as much of that as you like. Once you get to the trailhead, it will be difficult to get lost.

If you want to try one of Bike Magazine's top 10 trails in the country, you can do National. It is an advanced ride with many technical sections and lots of steps/drops. There are some variations of National that will give you a taste of what it has to offer that incorporate some more itermediate trails that allow you to pull out and return if needed relatively quick and easy. Most intermediate riders will enjoy National as it is always possible to walk the easier sections. A very common route for National is to take Morman Loop up, which connects to National. You can then continue up National to the infamous "Waterfall" and beyond. Continuing will take you to the Buena Vista parking lot. I do not suggest you continue on Nation after that without a guide. At whatever point you turnaround (the Waterfall, the National/Morman Loop connecting point, Buena Vista) you simply go back down National to your starting point. National and Morman loop both start at the same point at the trail head. Please please read this thread, the whole thing, before you go.
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=64613&highlight=step
WOW ! thanks a lot, I read the thread and printed bot ot these off for reference. I ride a xc set up for sure 3" full squish with a 100 mm fork and hope's. I race road & mtb vet (30-39 ) ex, so my fitness is good. I am not into killing myself on nut bar downhills since in all likleyhood I will be alone. I honestly don't mind taking the easier option given the circumstances. But I ain't afraid to walk either I am not a rider that gets in over my head to prove a point. I think the South Mountian option is going to be perfect. I am staying at the Pointe South Mountain Resort so I will post again nearer to the date and maybe I can hook up with some of you guy's.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
527 Posts
g-t- said:
WOW ! thanks a lot, I read the thread and printed bot ot these off for reference. I ride a xc set up for sure 3" full squish with a 100 mm fork and hope's. I race road & mtb vet (30-39 ) ex, so my fitness is good. I am not into killing myself on nut bar downhills since in all likleyhood I will be alone. I honestly don't mind taking the easier option given the circumstances. But I ain't afraid to walk either I am not a rider that gets in over my head to prove a point. I think the South Mountian option is going to be perfect. I am staying at the Pointe South Mountain Resort so I will post again nearer to the date and maybe I can hook up with some of you guy's.

Thanks again.
There are enough people there any time of day that you are never really alone. There will always be other riders there and never had a problem taggin alonge with anyone to find new trails. More then likely someone on here will be there on any of the days you want to ride and be happy to give ya a tour.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'll offer my services

g-t- said:

Thanks again.
Staying at the Pointe, depending on your room location, you may be as close as a couple hundred feet from some of the feeder trails at SM. You are literally right across the street. Shoot me a message when the time is closer and I would be happy to show you some of the less traveled trails at SM, or the big crowd pleasers. You will not get bored riding there, no matter how long your stay.

·
Occidental Tourist
3,563 Posts

·
I am Doctor Remulak
1,425 Posts
BigSkyLLC said:
How do you get to S. Mtn off of I-10?
Exit I-10 at Elliot and go west to 48th St. Take 48th St north to the park entrance near golf course. If you cross over I-10 you've gone too far. Turn around and go back.

BigSkyLLC said:
Are there fees for riding there?
Many people pay with blood, but there are no $$ fees to ride in the largest municipal park in the US.

BigSkyLLC said:
Is there transportation to the top if allyou want to do is down hill & freeride?
There's usually somebody shuttling from the entrance off of Central (North side of the mountain) on weekends. No shuttling from the east end. Ride up and ride down.

·
Registered
691 Posts
BigSkyLLC said:
How do you get to S. Mtn off of I-10?

Are there fees for riding there?

Is there transportation to the top if allyou want to do is down hill & freeride?
Don't mean to kick up a definition war here bud, but there is NO FREE-RIDING on South Mountain.

Stay on the damn trails. They present plenty enough challenge for all of us.

Have fun.

John W.

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
papajohn said:
Don't mean to kick up a definition war here bud, but there is NO FREE-RIDING on South Mountain.

Stay on the damn trails. They present plenty enough challenge for all of us.

Have fun.

John W.
I'm confused, because I thought Yuri said there were no fees to ride S. Mountain. Isn't that the definition of free riding? :)

·
Registered
691 Posts
skinny-tire said:
I'm confused, because I thought Yuri said there were no fees to ride S. Mountain. Isn't that the definition of free riding? :)
I was afraid we'd here from some of the rural counties on this one, but I didn't know it would happen so fast! :D

John W.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.