Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,178 Posts
skinny-tire said:
Anybody familiar with this trail:
http://www.singletrack.us/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=5353&fullsize=1

I was told that this is as-of-yet an official "sanctioned" (read: marked/designated) trail. Anybody ridden it?
As far as I know, it is still an unofficial unsanctioned trail. It's built well with the exception of a few very steep wash crossings and is getting lots of hiker and biker use. Ride it!! I took it west to east recently in a monster SoMo ride (home-DC-Pima Canyon-National-telegraph pass-road-Bajada-Alta-National-Gila-road-DC-hot tub. Gila is a name given by a few of the early riders. Hopefully it will stick. Probably is more fun east to west, but finding it out of the wash near the ruins can be tricky, and then what do you do once at the end? Either climb National (ouch), or ride Bajada and take either road or Kiwanis up.

I was tossing around the idea of doing a loop from Telegraph parking area, up Tele, up National, down Ranger, west on Bajada, and back on Gila soon (maybe on NY Day, tomorrow)... interested?

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DurtGurl said:
As far as I know, it is still an unofficial unsanctioned trail. It's built well with the exception of a few very steep wash crossings and is getting lots of hiker and biker use. Ride it!! I took it west to east recently in a monster SoMo ride (home-DC-Pima Canyon-National-telegraph pass-road-Bajada-Alta-National-Gila-road-DC-hot tub. Gila is a name given by a few of the early riders. Hopefully it will stick. Probably is more fun east to west, but finding it out of the wash near the ruins can be tricky, and then what do you do once at the end? Either climb National (ouch), or ride Bajada and take either road or Kiwanis up.

I was tossing around the idea of doing a loop from Telegraph parking area, up Tele, up National, down Ranger, west on Bajada, and back on Gila soon (maybe on NY Day, tomorrow)... interested?
Groovy.

I was invited to ride out there on Sunday--I'm going to Roger Clyne concert on NYE, so I'll be plenty hung over on New Year; plus the SO and I celebrate our X-mas with my family on NY Day. I don't ride SM that often, and wasn't sure if bikers were frowned upon. But it sounds like it's being used, with no conflicts.

Next question: SS friendly, or should I bring the big bike?

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,178 Posts
skinny-tire said:
Groovy.

I was invited to ride out there on Sunday--I'm going to Roger Clyne concert on NYE, so I'll be plenty hung over on New Year; plus the SO and I celebrate our X-mas with my family on NY Day. I don't ride SM that often, and wasn't sure if bikers were frowned upon. But it sounds like it's being used, with no conflicts.

Next question: SS friendly, or should I bring the big bike?
Actually... I meant that I was thinking of doing this ride on NY Eve. If you ride everything else SS then I'm guessing it's singlespeedable. I'd be on my "medium" XC bike, the 5" Lenz with Time pedals. It's definitely not a big bike/flat pedal kind of a ride.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Yeah it's amazing how much traffic that trail is getting sence I first rode it about a year ago, not sure where their all going sence it dosn't really go anywhere lol, but it's a cool trail and a good change from the usual SoMo stuff. I'd say from the pit to the end and back is one of the best SS rides on SoMo.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I rode it east to west 2 weekends ago, then up National (ugh), and down Mine Drop (hooyah!). Gila isn't bad, once it gets hilly it's kind of narrow, a few steep spots, a few washy spots, not real techy, but fun and different, it's got a few spots that will make your legs burn, not a highway like some of the more eastern SoMo trails (although those are also a blast to ride). As stated earlier, it's not really marked, http://www.singletrack.us/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=5353&fullsize=1 has a fair map of the trail. I would think that it is single speedable, I also think that west to east would be more fun, if you are trying to work it into a loop.

·
fear this
349 Posts
DurtGurl said:
Actually... I meant that I was thinking of doing this ride on NY Eve. If you ride everything else SS then I'm guessing it's singlespeedable. I'd be on my "medium" XC bike, the 5" Lenz with Time pedals. It's definitely not a big bike/flat pedal kind of a ride.
I'm back in town for the holidays and I brought my bike with me. How many miles is the ride you're considering? I'm rolling on a Norco Fluid LT (6x6, 31 lbs, running tubes) and I'm from Vancouver, BC. I recall tubes being an issue last time. :)

·
Registered
558 Posts
I have been riding it for a year or so since Kort showed it too me. Been regularly riding it West and staying on to the end and cutting through Tweakerville and off trailing it to bottom of National. Just found that short cut trail and used that last time, shaved off about 10 mins. Then I come up the road to Holbert and back National/Mormon. Roughly 30 miles in 3 or so hours. Been doing it 32x18 and mostly doable apart from a few sections out of the wash by the ruins. Probably my favorite ride!

A year ago the trail was barely visible, but now all laid out with rocks and cairns. Guess our secret trail is no more!!

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,178 Posts
Mesozoic said:
I'm back in town for the holidays and I brought my bike with me. How many miles is the ride you're considering? I'm rolling on a Norco Fluid LT (6x6, 31 lbs, running tubes) and I'm from Vancouver, BC. I recall tubes being an issue last time. :)
You are welcome to do this ride with us tomorrow. I'm starting around 9AM from my house (on Dale's map). You could either meet up there or perhaps meet at the Telegraph parking area around 9:30 or so. BrianC will be rolling with me. I'm guessing the ride is probably over 20 miles from my house, and under 30. Timewise... 4 hours? 3? 5? I rarely watch a clock and lose track of time and miles. If you are interested, I'll PM you more details!

BIke should be fine - bring spare tubes, snacks, and a full 100 oz bladder.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.