Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the southeast corner of the Olympic National Forest, me, and some pals found for ourselves a great XC river ride. Technical in some spots, the trail for the most part was super nice and smooth. As far as scenic rides go, i've found that river trails while not being heavy on epic views do provide wonderful lush scenery for the ride. We're really lucky to have so many great river trails around here, this being yet another great scenic ride.

Rolling thru a one of many sections where the trail runs down in a lush basin close to the river.

A common site on Pac NW trails in the spring.

Several sections of the trail rise up making for challenging sometimes grueling climbs, here a section of wash out from the river changing routes, has erased the trail, which of course had been rerouted further back on the hill.

Of course what comes up must go down. Comin down one the many hills. This being an out and back trail we got to see both ends of the spectrum as far as climbing and descending.

You really can't help but glide along and check out the scenery as you ride.

Finally about 8 miles up the river we took a well deserved break. Enjoyed the sun, scenery and some grub.

It was a great ride with good freinds.

GOOD TIMES

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
Great Pics! Brings back some memories- I had quite an experiance on that trail last year...

My family has a time-share near Union, and I was out there last summer. I had my road bike with me, didn't know of any trails and was solo for rides.... The Ranger station in hoodsport gave me a map, looking at it I thought "Well, I could climb up the fire-road on the road bike, cross the river at the bridge, then ride down s.fork trail back to my car. Might have to walk a few sections of trail, but the fire-road shouldn't be too bad ". I was up for an adventure....I threw my teva sandles in my jersey pockets and was off.

The fire-road was no problem, but I did miss a turn and ended up bagging an extra few miles and some vert before I came back down and found the right turn-off... down the trail to the bridge was too steep to ride on the road bike, off with the road shoes and on with the sandles. Down to the river.... where's the bridge? either it was washed out or I missed it completely. Found a way across the river, wading in knee deep water, carrying my bike. Scary.... was a little worried I might get in too deep, water was moving pretty fast. Finally made the other side but had a hard time finding the trail, had to do some bush-wacking... found the trail. Crap, I'm going to be late! Well, should be easy frome here, it's all downhill singletrack right? I'll put my road shoes back on....

Wow, after the first 5 steep climbs that were impossible for me on a road bike, I started to get wise. Got used to riding with the teva sandles on Look pedals, not so bad. I'm only going to be 3 hours late, hopefully my wife won't call S&R! started to get my flow back and cleaned some sections of trail which made me smile. Saw some hikers who looked at me as though I was crazy. At this point I was riding a fair bit but starting to feel bad about trashing my nice road bike on this adventure!

Finally, the last descent down to my car parked at the trailhead. Cleaning it, I could hear my wife yelling my name from below. Almost out! finished the ride, my wife was very happy to see me.. she was going to give me another 15 minutes before she called for help. I felt too bad too tell her about what a fun ride I had, and how I love scaring the crap out of myself like that.

All in all, a very stupid plan. This year I'll bring my mountain bike out there!

·
Registered
606 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
very nice love the river pic w/the sand
HEy! Who let you out of the DH/FR cage? ;)

Where is the trail located there? How much elevation do you gain and in how many miles? I've always been looking for a trail to ride in that area. I like riding over near lake Cushman too. Too bad none of the west side Olympic Oldgrowth rainforest are open to bikes! Bikes don't do any damage to those types of trails where it's a thick layer of pine needles, like the Lower Big Quilcene.

BTW, I go fishing in that area where the river opens up out of the tighter hills. Tres beautiful. PLenty of bears too!

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FM said:
All in all, a very stupid plan. This year I'll bring my mountain bike out there!
haha yah that would definately be the wiser plan. :D

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MicroHuck said:
Where is the trail located there? How much elevation do you gain and in how many miles?
Driving Directions: Take Hwy 101 to the Skokomish Valley road, which is halfway between Shelton and Hoodsport. Go West on the Skokomish Valley Road for approximatly 5 miles to Forest Service Road #23. Turn right on #23, and stay with it for 9 miles until #2353. Turn right on #2353, stay with it for a mile, cross a bridge, and the trailhead is just up ahead on your left.
Statistics
Distance: 22 mi r/t
Time: 1-2d
Elevation Gain in: 650 ft
Elevation Gain out: 250 ft
Trailhead Elevation: 800 ft
Maximum Elevation: 1200 ft

·
born again
652 Posts
Sounds like a true Epic!

Skookum said:
Driving Directions: Take Hwy 101 to the Skokomish Valley road, which is halfway between Shelton and Hoodsport. Go West on the Skokomish Valley Road for approximatly 5 miles to Forest Service Road #23. Turn right on #23, and stay with it for 9 miles until #2353. Turn right on #2353, stay with it for a mile, cross a bridge, and the trailhead is just up ahead on your left.
Statistics
Distance: 22 mi r/t
Time: 1-2d
Elevation Gain in: 650 ft
Elevation Gain out: 250 ft
Trailhead Elevation: 800 ft
Maximum Elevation: 1200 ft
1 to 2 Days to do that ride? Wow. ;) Seriously though looks like a fun ride. Thanks for the report and the pics. Looks like a great hardtail ride, nice and smooth...

·
Group Hug Participant
1,112 Posts
Good One!

Best "Washington" post we've had here in a long time. Currently adding to "must ride this year" list.

FM, u so crazy! :D Diggen the new avatar...

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
gearz said:
1 to 2 Days to do that ride? Wow. ;) Seriously though looks like a fun ride. Thanks for the report and the pics. Looks like a great hardtail ride, nice and smooth...
hehe i quickly copy McPasteyed it from a reply on another forum. Didn't see the "hiking" time. :D
Took us about 5.5 hours to ride it but we were stopping alot for pics and just takin it easy for the most part.
Great XC ride for sure, there are some really challenging climbs, i was fairly proud of myself on making most of them. Tried tackling the last one on the way back and just ran out of gas a little more than halfway up. The trails are fairly smooth for 85% of it so it makes it a great place to attempt to climb, and yah a hardtail would not kill you at all. There is about 5% of rocky gnarl stuff, but all doable, one particular section it would be wise if you take some time to put the seat down. :)

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Where does this trail come out?
My dad and brothers are gonna fish the skokomish river and I want to ride it while they fish...

Thanks!
The ride is an out and back along the river. To tell you the truth i've never been to the top, same as i have not been to the top of Lower Big Quilcene Trail, as the Olympic Mountain Range is full of Wilderness Designation. Bicycles were included in the ban in 1984 by the people who are no fun.

The trail will take you to that border.

But there is plenty of riding currently, just ride up the river til you want to turn back. There is alot of ups and downs going both ways. Of course more down as you ride downstream.

Like many river rides, like Dungeness, Lewis River, Skookum Flats, or Middle Fork Snoqualmie, this trail has got the chill vibe of Ewok forests with big trees, and always just a stones throw of ditching the bike and soakin the toes.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Amen to that Nwbikur!

Thanks for the information sko!
No prob, i haven't been in a while, i like riding there. There really are only less than a handful of riding opportunities in the Olympic Range. But out of the half dozen or so opportunities it's one of the best imo.

Wish the pictures were still up, that would be fun to remember that ride. Not sure if i still have em...:nonod:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.