Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
HIYAH
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone done the south boundary trail in NM on a SS? Just wondering as I might have a trip coming up this weekend and need to pick a bike.

Thanks!

·
the cool nerd
8,643 Posts
On-One said:
Anyone done the south boundary trail in NM on a SS? Just wondering as I might have a trip coming up this weekend and need to pick a bike.

Thanks!
do you think that SB is dry enough to ride yet? If so, and you do decide to SS it, and you want company, give me some details and I might meet you there

scott

·
Registered
216 Posts
I did ot on a rigid K Monkey last year. You have to wait until at least late may for the snow to melt and even then you will see some.

I was shuttled to the Angel Fire side and roade up the fireroads to entrace of the single track. You may be on and off quite a bit depending how acclimated you are to the altitude. I think you get up to 11k feet at some point during the first thrid of the ride. Then it's all down from there and hang on.

Also, last year in late may there was still a good bit of deadfall so plan on stopping every couple of miles or so in the wooded singletrack.

BTW... I took the photo I use at the top of my blog on the South Bounday Trail Last year.

http://mike.reyher.com

Check with Taos Cyclery for a shuttle ride. I would never try taking the trail from Taos to Angel fire on a SS.

Mike

·
SS Chimp
525 Posts
all the time

in the last 2 years I have done it at least 5 times on an SS. We normally go in Valle Escondido and climb up to Elliot Barker and over to SB but we have done other variations also. I think you will be skiing this time of year :D. If you are used to climbing at altitude then the climbing is not too bad with a 32x18 or a 34x18. Let me know if you want more detailed info.

·
HIYAH
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sportsman said:
do you think that SB is dry enough to ride yet? If so, and you do decide to SS it, and you want company, give me some details and I might meet you there

scott
Well I just read on the Taos cyclery website that the trails are dry? So what is it...? Anyone been out there lately?

If I don't ride taos I will be found in the hart canyon doing a long ride...SS of course...what part of NM or CO are you in?

·
the cool nerd
8,643 Posts
On-One said:
Well I just read on the Taos cyclery website that the trails are dry? So what is it...? Anyone been out there lately?

If I don't ride taos I will be found in the hart canyon doing a long ride...SS of course...what part of NM or CO are you in?
I'm in Los Alamos, and I'm almost always excited about long rides...where are you?

·
HIYAH
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I live in the Aztec area south of durango...I have been doing 3-5 hour weekend rides in hart canyon...Good trails and quite a bit of interesting oil field road to boot...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts