·
Mtbr Founder
35,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Borat Review

Got to sneak preview this movie last night....

There were times in this movie where I was laughing so hard that I thaught I would have a heart attack...I am definatley not the PC type but even when I was laughing at this movie I was feeling uncomfortable about parts of it. Some of this movie was a bit over the top for me. I can definatley see why cultural and religeous Jewish people are offended by this movie...and to be honest I was offended a bit by the constant bashing of jews... especially in light of all the anti Jewish sentiment being stoked by the media these days....so that made me a bit uncomfortable.

You will probably like this movie if one or two of the following describes you

you are not PC
you hate jews
your very stoned
you are a nazi
you like to see one guys balls on another guys chin

You will likely want to skip it if you

are a practicing Jew
are from kahkistan (or whatever they call it)
have a leaky bladder

I'll give it 3.5 Chillis

·
I'm disrespectful to dirt
479 Posts
You do realize that Sacha Baron Cohen (the person acting as Borat) is Jewish himself, right?

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I assume Mr. Cohen is attempting satire by being as outlandishly opposite to what's "right" as possible. He's not really promoting anti-Jewish sentiment - but showing how silly such ideas are.

Here's his famous "Throw the Jew Down the Well" song:

·
Mtbr Founder
35,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's looking like 8pm at Santana row, Friday. We probably have to be at the theater by 7:30.

Is that cool? Can you all make that??

francois

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Actually....

Brooks and Cohen were born into Jewish families.....that does not make them Jewish. I was born into a Catholic family and I am definatley not Catholic. They are of Jewish desent and that is all.

There are a lot of "names" of Jewish desent in Hollywood. To go as far as Brooks and Cohen have gone and then say..."It's OK I'm Jewish"... is just WRONG IMO.

The movie is still funny....and I laughed at some of the Jewish jokes but IMO some of it went to far and to say it is OK because his name is Cohen is ludicrous. It is what it is....if his last name was Fitzpatrick and he made this movie....it would never make it out of Hollywood.

peace

·
Premium Member
8,633 Posts
OOH! I wanna go.....can I?....Puh-leeeeeaze....I promise not to talk, chatter, fidget or ask inane questions...I'll sit by myself all the way in the back....c'mon....I wanna hang out with the kewl peeps ;)

francois said:
It's looking like 8pm at Santana row, Friday. We probably have to be at the theater by 7:30.

Is that cool? Can you all make that??

francois

·
Mtbr Founder
35,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
CHUM said:
OOH! I wanna go.....can I?....Puh-leeeeeaze....I promise not to talk, chatter, fidget or ask inane questions...I'll sit by myself all the way in the back....c'mon....I wanna hang out with the kewl peeps ;)
Awshum!! Movie's at 8pm. We should all be there by 7:30 I think. Parking's prob'ly a biatch.

http://movies.yahoo.com/showtimes/theater?id=8210&date=20061103

Should we go drinking before the ride or after :skep:...

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/borat/trailers_player.php?IGNMediaID=1721375&playerType=videolarge
"whuts up withit vanilla face"

If y'all want to meet at my house, that's cool too. I have a big minivan and I can bus us all. Plus we can do some Double Daddy IPA and build some of the 2007 XTR 29er FS bikes in my garage after the movie.

fc

·
Mtbr Founder
35,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
grrrah said:
should be able to make it.

may be at one of the watering holes or restaurants along the row a bit earlier.
kooooo. Jasmina, Rensho, Bustamove, Chum, K-max look like they're in.

Anybody else?

fc

1 - 20 of 33 Posts