Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
the bomb
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed a hope mini rear brake, and the hose is going to have to be cut.

Can anyone reccomend a shop for disk brake service in the San jose area? I'm thinking Sun Bike shop in Milpitas, or Trailhead Cyclery in San Jose. Thoughts?

thanks

·
Slowest Rider
5,237 Posts
pfunk said:

Can anyone reccomend a shop for disk brake service in the San jose area? I'm thinking Sun Bike shop in Milpitas, or Trailhead Cyclery in San Jose. Thoughts?

thanks
Since my Heckler is currently at Reed's near you, it's only right you should come to Trail Head near me for your repair.:) (Don't know Sun Bike.)

I think both Reeds and TH are good shops. Trail Head may be slightly more compentent, but slightly more expensive, and a lot further. For what you want, they're both good and very willing to help from what I've seen in many hours and $ spent in each LBS over the last few months. Why not just go closer and get it done? (Did you have a bad experience with Reeds?) For example, I just had trouble with vibration and uneven pad wear on my rear Saint disc brake, that no one on the brake forum could help with. Reeds found it almost instantly - the XT hub was loose and needed the typical break-in cone readjustment. (Oddly, someone at Auburn had told me about my loose hub, but I hadn't adjusted it yet.)

Cutting a hose is pretty easy by someone who knows how. (I don't think the Hopes are any different, are they?) You just need to make sure you've got a cutter that doesn't compress the hose (no side-cutters or shears) and leaves a perpedicular smooth edge. Even a typical plumber may have a small enough hose cutter tool. They're a few bucks at the hardware store. I've often used a very sharp knife held at a right angle, careful not to compress too much so it crimps, when cutting some similar plumbing on my lasers. I'm not sure if anyone would even charge you for the quick cut. Did you loose a brass fitting?

The harder part is filling and bleeding the brakes properly, IMO. (Also, remove the pads first so the leaky fluid doesn't accidentally get on them.) If you haven't done that or feel good about it, you may want the LBS to do that too. That may cost a little something.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
I did mine...

pfunk said:

thanks
... and it's not that tough. You only need is a few hand tools and a sharp knife.

I can help you if you can tolerate my messy garage... and bring beer and pizza. I even have a large stash of DOT 5.1 brake fluid, which was a total PITA to find.

·
Registered
12 Posts
pimpbot said:
... and it's not that tough. You only need is a few hand tools and a sharp knife.

I can help you if you can tolerate my messy garage... and bring beer and pizza. I even have a large stash of DOT 5.1 brake fluid, which was a total PITA to find.
Not to intrude on the do-it-yourself attitude, but I have had good experience at Performance Bicycles on Hamilton and Bascom. Although, the guys at Trail Head seem to be much more friendly and more willing to teach you rather than just take in back and fix it like the bigger guys (hence Performance).

·
the bomb
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks all

I was going to take it to trailhead, but they're all booked up with the otter next weekend. I'm not racing, but have a ride planned Friday. I took it to Sun Bike shop in Milpitas and they'll have it done today.

Pimpbot - thanks for the offer to help. Maybe next time. Between pizza, beer, and gas to oakland - the shop is probably cheaper :eek:

Big Larry thanks for the tips. Don't know why I wouldn't take it to reeds, maybe it's the stigma of the "sporting goods" persona

thanks again all

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hope problems?

While on the topic of Hope brakes, do any of you guys have problems with them squealing? I've heard they are noisey.. I'm considering buying a set and won't stand for any noise... I'll take a rub before I'd take a squeal.

·
the bomb
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nope

biggz said:
While on the topic of Hope brakes, do any of you guys have problems with them squealing? I've heard they are noisey.. I'm considering buying a set and won't stand for any noise... I'll take a rub before I'd take a squeal.
I've had the front for a while. No squealing

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Not really

biggz said:
They start to get noisy when I get them really hot or hot and wet, but it's not bad at all. You're welcome to take my bike for a spin to see for yourself. Imonna be down at SO on Friday.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.