Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I suffered up to Ward yesterday on the roadie but was surprised to see a lack of much snow up there. Certainly some big patches in the northern facing shade. But does anyone know if the high trails are getting close to being rideable? Once my replacement battery comes in I may do a night recon mission. My daytime ride hours are kinda limited, so don't want to waste an early morning up there if it's totally no-can-do. S

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
I did something sorta similar Saturday.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=93769&highlight=shuttle

Some areas look good, others not so good. I'd guess it's going to be a while for trails to be mostly ridable. I would imagine there's some significant hiking through drifts anytime soon. And what's clear is probably uber-soft. Especially Sourdough, it always seems to be forever before it clears out.

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,848 Posts
DSR said:
I suffered up to Ward yesterday on the roadie but was surprised to see a lack of much snow up there. Certainly some big patches in the northern facing shade. But does anyone know if the high trails are getting close to being rideable? Once my replacement battery comes in I may do a night recon mission. My daytime ride hours are kinda limited, so don't want to waste an early morning up there if it's totally no-can-do. S
i'm with brian on this one. i'm betting another 2 weeks to a month before most if it will be really doable. maybe even longer. can't remember exactly when, but it was pretty late into spring last year when i found it finally dry enough.

·
Perpetually single track
3,175 Posts
Yeah Scott, I'm with Scrubby/brian....I think it needs more time still. A lot of the ride is in the trees and not getting a TON of sun on the south facing stuff even.

Frustrating ehh? If you do go, pls report on it though. :)

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for saving me a late night! Guess we'll have to wait a bit. I always get over optimistic this time of year!

Nice looking stable outside Redstone. Love the old Schwinn. And your Eddy is quite the beaut. I just did the standard knee-crusher up and over Lee Hill and then up LH to Ward. I was pretty wobbly pulling into Ward, but got a pick-me-up from a big wave and smile from Tyler heading down the canyon. Got home and heard the news about his suspension. Bummer. Such a good guy. Anyway... guess I'll be slumming it at Hall for another couple of weeks! (Joking of course.) S

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
DSR said:
Thanks for saving me a late night! Guess we'll have to wait a bit. I always get over optimistic this time of year!

Nice looking stable outside Redstone. Love the old Schwinn. And your Eddy is quite the beaut. I just did the standard knee-crusher up and over Lee Hill and then up LH to Ward. I was pretty wobbly pulling into Ward, but got a pick-me-up from a big wave and smile from Tyler heading down the canyon. Got home and heard the news about his suspension. Bummer. Such a good guy. Anyway... guess I'll be slumming it at Hall for another couple of weeks! (Joking of course.) S
I was musing during my ride that I'm ususally riding Ned the first week of May. Can't wait. I'd like to go check it out, but I know I'm being too optimistic.

Lots of good looking rigs everytime I'm in Redstone - he seems to attract folks with good taste in bikes. My Merckx is good, but even after this weekend, we're just not bonding right. Not sure what I should do...

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not bonding with Eddy?! Go steel! My roadie is steel with a carbon fork and carbon stays and I still grit my teeth when coming home from Lyons on 36 with all of those frost heaves or whatever they are. Of course I'm also running 110+ psi. I think an all-time overachieving roadie frame is the Schwinn Peloton - 853 steel, pre-WalMart Schwinn and can be found for cheap-cheap on the used market.

Thanks again for the updates all. I think I asked the same question this same time last year! Very anxious. S

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.