Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
uh, uh...oh, i forget
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to do sourdough for the first time and i'm getting some confusing info, so help me out please...
one guy says that i have to shuttle it from somewhere near Ward, while the books and trail reviews have it as an out and back from 116 to brainard lake rd, and finally my map has it continuing and hooking up with some other trails... What is the consensus on the preferred way to do it? thanks..

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
mcd said:
I'm going to do sourdough for the first time and i'm getting some confusing info, so help me out please...
one guy says that i have to shuttle it from somewhere near Ward, while the books and trail reviews have it as an out and back from 116 to brainard lake rd, and finally my map has it continuing and hooking up with some other trails... What is the consensus on the preferred way to do it? thanks..
I would start from one of the ends: either the research station side or the camp dick side, and ride uphill first, followed by a downhill back to your car. Of those options, I like the camp dick side a bit better, but the initial climb is a bit tougher than the other end.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Park @ the trailhead on CO 116 (University of Colorado Research Station turnoff). Ride the trail for about six miles up to Brainard Rd (mostly uphill). The trail is annoying well maked with blue diamonds every 3rd tree ;). Turn around @ Brainard Rd. and ride 6 miles back to your car (mostly downhill).

·
ride
5,275 Posts
mcd said:
Your map is correct. If you're coming from Boulder, you're closest to the research station end of things. That'd be a good place to start. I've never "shuttled" Sourdough, as it's good in either direction. Start at 116 and ride until you fee like turning around. It's primarily dh back to the car. The trail is very straightforward until you get past Brainard Lake road. Blue Diamonds and trail 835. Past Brainard Lake road, where the map shows the connection with South St Vrain, things can get a bit confusing. If you ride from 116 to Brainard Lake and back like other's have mentioned, it'll be a great ride. Have fun!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Point-to-Point

I like to the whole thing from Rainbow Lakes road to Camp Dick, but that involves a shuttle unless you like riding back on the Peak to Peak with knobbies.

Coming up from Boulder, leave a vehicle at Camp Dick, then continue up to the trailhead on the Rainbow Lakes road. No out and back, just singletrack the whole way, with options for Wapiti, SSV, and Coney Flats Rd to decend lower Buchanan Pass trail.

·
ride
5,275 Posts
36Cycleplane said:
I like to the whole thing from Rainbow Lakes road to Camp Dick, but that involves a shuttle unless you like riding back on the Peak to Peak with knobbies.

Coming up from Boulder, leave a vehicle at Camp Dick, then continue up to the trailhead on the Rainbow Lakes road. No out and back, just singletrack the whole way, with options for Wapiti, SSV, and Coney Flats Rd to decend lower Buchanan Pass trail.
I like that section better, too. Seems like N of Rainbow Lakes road, things are a tad more technical. I've never really understood the shuttle or riding back on the road, though. Even if you do retrace your steps, you're still maximizing singletrack time. Rainbow Lakes to Camp Dick and back would be a great ride. That's pretty much what my normal route is, but I start in Camp Dick - it's closer to home.

·
trail waggler
1,425 Posts
ignazjr said:
Seems like N of Rainbow Lakes road, things are a tad more technical.
Just don't go directly south, them Caribou folks has guns :D

I know, you meant north of Brainard Lake Rd.

I have high hopes for the BOA trail work on that nasty N. Sourdough section, between the first S. St. Vrain cutoff and the S. St. Vrain proper. That's a section that definitely needs alittle rock removal!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.