Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm preparing for a big trip to ride the Swiss Alps (should be pretty dull) - I would like to bring a couple spare spokes with me but am having a hard time finding an easy way to get my hands on just a couple of spokes in exactly the size and type that I need - Sapim D-Lite straight pull 299mm (2/1.65/2), - for some reason there are not a lot of straight pull of these spokes for sale when looking on the interwebz, but I'm guessing any brand in the same size & type will do?

Anybody got any leads on the easiest & cheapest way to just get a couple spokes? If I call / walk into a well stocked LBS are they likely to have exactly what I need or are they almost always special order? Any sites where it is easy to just buy a couple spokes & nipples? Sorry if this is a dumb question but I have never entered dealt w/ the dark arts of wheelbuilding - BTW I live in SF but go to SC & East Bay a fair amount

Thanks!

·
Sweater
1,949 Posts
Lbs no. They don’t keep many spokes around in my experience. There are a couple online retailers that have a wide selection and a couple eBay sellers that have quite a bit. Check the wheel builders and danscomp to start. I can’t think of others off the top of my head. Check the wheel building forum. Those guys will definitely point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lbs no. They don't keep many spokes around in my experience. There are a couple online retailers that have a wide selection and a couple eBay sellers that have quite a bit. Check the wheel builders and danscomp to start. I can't think of others off the top of my head. Check the wheel building forum. Those guys will definitely point you in the right direction.
Good idea - will do

·
Registered
867 Posts
Straight pull = can be cut, right? No extra butting or aero shape or the like? Then as suggested above, a LBS can cut them for you. I expect Freewheel on Hayes can easily do this, and probably Mike's too. A spoke cutter is expensive enough that not every shop has one but I've had both of them (though a different mikes location) make me weird sized spokes.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Universal Cycles usually has a good selection of spokes. As mentioned, any straight pulls of the right approx length should work as spares (regardless of brand and butting). Though replacing spokes may be easier if the nipple diameter is compatible (no need to pull the tire).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.