Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
I have been thinking of trying http://www.bmeres.com/carbonframe1.htm, but I was curious where I can source the metal for the bottom bracket shell, seat tube, cable stops, head tube, etc.

Looks like most people here are building frames out of some type of metal.

I have built a Fiberglass/Kevlar solo whitewater canoe before so I have some experience with the process.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
sounds like it took weeks to make,how much does it weigh?it doesn't sound like a 3-4 lb frame,carbon is around 40 dollars a yard,the mgs resin is 154 dollars a gallon with hardener,constructing(buying materials) a perfectly straight jig and shaping all that foam,and the machining or buying of bb and all the other aluminum bits just to make what appears to look just like a fleabay cheapy cf frame with canti's.Wow! I've heard that most frames use monofilement cf on the inside and the bi directional stuff on the outside just for the look,this guys got the weave all the way through,which may or may not be an advantage. I wonder how much the foam weighs, i know giant pressurizes with air from the inside, the bladders stuck to the inside barely weigh anything. Truely incredible on different levels,if i had that kind of motivation to make my own bike frame i would 've at least copied a giant reign x in carbon or made a disk braked crossbike version of an advance isp frame.

·
Registered
725 Posts
herbn said:
just to make what appears to look just like a fleabay cheapy cf frame with canti's.Wow!
Herb, Realize that frame was made 7 years ago which is quite a time in carbon land.

That gentleman has made lots of other really cool stuff even a helmet for his dog:)

I think sometimes the journey is just as important as the destination. People like making things for the sake of making things and I agree, Giants and the like use great technology. It is probably out of your league to duplicate.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
i didn't know it was 7 years old,that's an entirely different story.I'm very very familiar with the driving force behind making things, metal work,machining, is my thing.Most recently,i made 1.5" stems for my giant dh. The most involved time intensive thing i ever made were early suspension forks,months, i made every parts even broached out specially shaped ti bolts,bored out the legs out of solid 7075,cut and punched urithane bushings, delrin parts ect ect,so i'm very aware of the time and effort involved,all the more impressive.The only thing on the cf frame was the dated look, but if it's 7 years old, damn! how did it hold up?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.